Underlayment for Gravel Bed?

I need to cover a bare strip of ground along the curb with rock.
Is it advisable or necessary to use a "weed fabric" or black plastic underneath the gravel in order to avoid weeds? Is there a preference? Living in Southern California, where weeds grow like crazy.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I do that everytime I put down or mulch.
Dick

Yes, not only will it prevent weed seeds from germinating below the gravel, it will also make weeds which are blown in easier to pull, since they'll just be rooted in the loose gravel. As well, it will keep the gravel from migrating down into the soil, making replenishing of the gravel less frequent.
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com

gravel,
Horsehockey.
Ground fabrics are known to cause more harm than good. They impede flow of oxygen and stop microbiota, insects and beneficial organisms from doing their job. Plus the damn stuff is plastic and plastic has no place in your garden.

The question concerned an area where tilth was not an issue.
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com