Uncovered a rabbit nest iin my half-barrel planter

Page 1 of 4
Just discovered them while trying to put in some big Coleus. What on earth made them think it was a good place for a nest up off the ground, and what, if anything, should I do? I don't want them in there. Will the mother move them for me? Abandon them? What if I do (or don't) cover them back up? I'm not sure if I hit one with my hand spade or not.
They're so widdle, I don't really want to kill them...at least not until they start eating up all my plants, as they always do. We've already got a ton of 'em around here, living underneath a shed out back. (And we're not allowed to shoot them. In fact, it's illegal to even throw a snowball in this town. Literally.)
Any suggestions?
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 10:07:47 -0500, "Nelly Wensdow"

Ask a pet store if they want to take them for sale?
And try not to think about their fate once sold to careless buyers <g>
Persephone
Um, thanks, but besides not being pet-quality (the adults are actually slightly ugly) I'm pretty sure they would die. There are at least five of them all snuggled together, about 3" down into the soil, and right now they are not much bigger than mice (which I initially thought they were, but they're definitely rabbits).
I really want to encourage the mom to come get them out of there. She must be one dumb bunny, because there are acres & acres of vacant fields nearby and I further don't know why she'd put them 2 feet up, inside a (then-empty) planter in a fairly high-traffic place outside my front door. I've never been successful at rehabbing baby bunnies...And, I don't want her dumb ass squashing or chewing on my newly planted big-leaf Coleus, either.
<Persephone> wrote in message > Ask a pet store if they want to take them for sale?

Nelly Wensdow wrote:

No help on the rabbits, but your mention of poor judgment reminds me of the time I lit the gas grill without looking inside and this mouse went three feet in the air with his little whiskers crinkling up. From the speed at which he disappeared into the distance I suspect that he wasn't badly damaged by the experience, but this was way out in the country where there were a vast number of better places for a mouse-nest than in a gas grill.

--John
Humans are the dumbest animals on the planet. They're also the most vicious, heinous, violent, and heartless.

<http://oldpoetry.com/oauthor/show/Su%20Tung-po
Still I wonder what to do tomorrow Wondering Yet dinner is announced
No choice but to ingest
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

I don't eat any animals or eggs any more, either. Next to go is all dairy. Not sure the relevance of your poem, but one of my favorites is...
And Death Shall Have No Dominion By Dylan Thomas
And death shall have no dominion. Dead men naked they shall be one With the man in the wind and the west moon; When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone, They shall have stars at elbow and foot; Though they go mad they shall be sane, Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again; Though lovers be lost love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.
And death shall have no dominion. Under the windings of the sea They lying long shall not die windily; Twisting on racks when sinews give way, Strapped to a wheel, yet they shall not break; Faith in their hands shall snap in two, And the unicorn evils run them through; Split all ends up they shan't crack; And death shall have no dominion.
And death shall have no dominion. No more may gulls cry at their ears Or waves break loud on the seashores; Where blew a flower may a flower no more Lift its head to the blows of the rain; Though they be mad and dead as nails, Heads of the characters hammer through daisies; Break in the sun till the sun breaks down, And death shall have no dominion.
So kill away all human animals who have no hearts. It will all ripen one day...

Speaking of global warming, and the little time that humanity has left for its' conceits. The Senate put-off till next year a bill to reduce green house gasses. The U.S. produces a quarter of the worlds green houses. We HAVE to make HUGE changes in the way we live, and our representative aren't giving us the leadership to make that possible. They would rather play footsies with lobbyists for campaign contributions and higher quarterly profits. Are the sheep going to stand for this behavior?
We need leadership and we have pillagers.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/40156.html
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

I'll settle for a legitimate election in November with no vote stealing as we had in the last two general elections.
My husband just opened the back door to step outside for a minute and there was a baby oppossum right on the deck outside the screen door. I hope that little creature continues to find safety from the ugly violence against wild animals who have been displaced as people build their McMansions. My entire property is host to wildlife including rats, snakes, fox, oppossum, mice, birds, lizards, frogs, toads and a huge array of insects, spiders and bugs.
I think I'm getting more rare as people think killing everything is the perfect answer.

If we're not supposed to eat them, why are they made of meat?
Chris
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 06:41:44 -0700 (PDT), Chris

Humans are made of meat, do we eat humans, or apes, rats, cats, bats, dogs? Some eat puppies I suppose somewhere in Asia. What is your argument? I'm a vegetarian weaning off all animal food to vegan. There is nothing wrong with that. I am the first to say one of the most delicious things are lamb chops or prime rib. After seeing a slaugherhouse while driving through Amarillo, TX I stopped eating beef. I haven't eaten lamb in almost 40 years.
Jangchub said:

If humans weren't supposed to eat meat, then why do they have canine, central, and lateral incisors? Were we supposed to be vegetarian, we would have *only* molars. Humans are omnivores.
I always find it rather humorous when people play the "I saw a slaughterhouse once..." card, to try and rationalize their point. Do you think it was any more "humane" when prehistoric humanoids hunted their food? Death to cattle in a slaughterhouse is much quicker than it was when they were beat to death with a rock.
--

Eggs

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 11:48:53 -0500, Eggs Zachtly

Omnivores can eat meat and or vegetables. I haven't eaten meat of any kind in years and I don't lack anything nutritionally.

It's not a "card" I'm playing. Animals are electricuted. Nice. I always find it amusing when someone uses the caveman card to compare how they did it then vs. how they do it now. I would think we would have been further along in the evolutionary tract to understand the suffering humans cause to animals. My entire point was that I don't kill anything in my garden and if the animals eat the food I grow I am not freaked out by it. They have every right to live as I do. We have overpopulated the planet with people. I hardly think anyone posting on a computer to Usenet is in any danger of running out of food. If they are, maybe they should sell the computer.

The whole planet is in danger, dear. By 2020 it's estimated we'll need 50% more food. That is a lot of food. There are other reasons for growing your own than money savings, and you know it. People who're too lazy to make a tiny bit more efficient use of the space they're taking up probably deserve to be all the poorer. But here I've been trying to grow, amongst other things, enough cukes each year from just 2 plants. I have rabbits; ok, so I'll plant 50+ seeds. 3 of the last 4 years, the rabbits got every last one of 'em. Thankfully there's still enough grown elsewhere to go around...for now. I'm going to try bloodmeal this year & see how it goes.
You're a vegetarian and no, there's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with not being one, either. I'm doing what any other species' ancestors down along the evolutionary line have come to do; there's no shame in that. But you were right about one thing; people have and still are foolishly overpopulating the earth; too many take up more space than they need; and they are also cruel, evil, heinous (& all your other adjectives) when they harm other living creatures unnecessarily. But not because they're omivores. Or might dare to be brave enough to humanely destroy rabbits rather than see them suffer.
Which incidentally I may not have to worry about, AFA the babies. We've had an alarming amount of torrential rains over the last couple of days here (Midwest), it's pouring buckets now, and we are in for more over the next week. That planter just never drained well when it got that soaked. I want to check in on them so much, but I fear disturbing the nest further may make it worse, assuming it's not already ruined. I spoke with someone who raises rabbits who told me that for whatever reason, they do not move their nests. So looks like the thing to do is just keep avoiding it & let the situation run its course. But I'm going to be more than just depressed if I have to remove starved-dead babies.
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:58:09 -0500, "Nelly Wensdow"

No, nothing wrong with NOT being vegetarian at al. It's my choice to be vegetarian. I do find that alfalfa pellets are rather inexpensive and rabbits like those, so I use it to deter the critters from plants. It doesn't stop the squirrels from coming down eating one bite from each on the tree. Even still, I would never consider trapping, live or otherwisem, the squirrel for fear they do have a nest somewhere and will be taken away from nurturing the infants.
All I suggested to you was to grow a heart in that garden of yours. A little compassion goes a long way. If you rationalize it to mean you should kill animals because they are starving, this is not what I meant. When I rescue rats or ants out of my swimming pool, the life I'm saving is my own.

I'm well aware that if there are babies in my planter then there are probably a gazillion more underneath the shed & elsewhere, so whatever trapping there is to do will probably have to wait. But I will NOT feed them. They are attracted to these man-made structures, while nature has provided them a bounty across the street (but admittedly, I'm not at all sure whether they've already overpopulated that area or not...). The only things I go out of my way to feed are (native-only) birds; and except for hummingbirds, I often have doubts about how big of a favor I'm doing *them*.

So then, I reiterate: Why do you keep implying I have no heart? Would it surprise you to know that I relocate spiders & bugs I find in my house? That I've rescued toads, bees & mice from my *own* pool? That I have black rats living out back & don't ever bother them? That in another state I own & maintain 30-some acres of unspoiled woodlands thriving with chipmunks, squirrels, deer, native birds, hornets, spiders, mice, snakes, tortoises, salamanders, skinks, butterflies, moths, beetles, and numerous plant, mushroom, moss & lichen species? And, except for the mushrooms & a few wild herbs & berries, I don't bother any of them. Nobody in their right mind who knows me at all can say I don't respect nature. I think you've got me wrong, stranger.
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:48:24 -0500, "Nelly Wensdow"

If I got you wrong I apologize. I've met far more people who disregard life outside of human life. I also feed the birds, but I have no way of NOT feeding non-native species. I provide nesting areas for barn swallows, purple martins, wrens and other cavity dwellers. We have a pair of boat tail grackles this year. Big, honkin', loud things. Totally unafraid of people and generally fly in flocks by the tens of thousands. I hope they don't all move in. I still have no way of preventing starlings from eating out of the feeders.
Anyway, you came off very harsh at first and now you are changing your tune a bit so there is no longer an argument.

Yes, I do tend to sound gruff, but with me it's often something of an affectation. For instance the part about "her dumb ass squashin' my coleus", that probably should've had a smiley or something after it. So it's not really that I was changing my tune exactly. Just gave the wrong impression. Wasn't out to offend anyone's sensibilities.
I think the grackles did all move in here this year. There were none at all last year, now BOOM. What a cacaphony among the beautiful songs of all the other birds. But I wish I knew what to tell you about the starlings. They are just the worst plague on native birds everywhere (besides humans, of course). I've seen a few here starting just this year, but they've so far stayed away from my feeders. House sparrows are a bigger problem for me, but it's easy enough to just not buy anything with millet in it, or to never toss any seed or breadstuff on the ground. I've been a local bluebird monitor for a couple years, and if I thought I would live in this house a while longer I might put up a box for them in the yard. But ohh, the gruesome horrors those sparrows do to those poor birds.... And you probably don't wanna know how I deal with them. Although, I could probably put up a few boxes at the cabin (the woodland property) next time I get out there, even though it's been years since I've even spotted any in that entire area. Being so far away I couldn't monitor them or anything but I think whatever nests in there might be safe from the HOSP due to its being pretty far from civilization. I'll have to check how far they need to be from the farms & granaries & such.
But getting back to the bunnies; today I saw them beginning to poke their heads up under nest covering, so they somehow survived all the flooding rains. Their eyes are now open, too. I'm told the momma only goes back to the nest once a day to feed them, so I won't know if she did or not for a bit I guess. AFA the population problem, I still have to see what I can find out. Even if they get relocated, there's still the big hollow under the shed & that'll have to be filled or else the others'll just move right on in. And good luck getting this landlord to do it.
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:18:51 -0500, "Nelly Wensdow"

Yeah, well, the starlings are wreckless, but I can't hold it against them. They are birds, not people and they don't actually think. They are not capable. Actually, in Buddhism the animal realm is one of the hell realms. It's a realm which is immensely difficult to dig out of. I feel such compassion for the animals. The neighbors let the cats out and run around and my husband gets so mad, but it's not the cats fault. The cat is a cat!
Now my parrot; whole different story. She knows how to talk and use language appropriately. She is still a bird, but one which is as intelligent as a three year old human. For an animal, that is smarter than most people!
I hope you find a fix for the rabbits, but maybe you can construct a cheap chicken wire fence around your vegetables and throw out some seeds elsewhere for carrots and lettuce for the rabbits.
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 05:36:44 -0500,when reading "rec.gardens", I'm

<I snipped Nelly's post for brevity but I support her comments>

I eat both meat and vegetables so I'm not a vegetarian. But I'm a keen gardener and grow vegetables because I'm able to grow them and it saves me having to pay for them at the supermarket.
We have an abundance of Native and Feral animals that can attack our veggies so if we don't control those animals there is no point in planting vegetables in the first place.

You have said something similar before and I still can't understand what you mean.

Recently we had a cull of 400 Kangaroos because drought conditions caused lack of feed. If the cull hadn't been carried out they all could have died.
In another situation where a small confined population of Hares [an introduced species] were in danger, they were culled to preserve their community.
I daily set traps to catch feral cats which are picked up by the RSPCA.

I just don't understand what you are trying to say?
--

Erik.