Ultra Modern Daylilies

Page 3 of 3
I think they are gorgeous. and I dont really like froo-froo either. but my mother is nuts about day lilies and her's are all wildly in bloom while she is in a hospital right now still dont know what is going on. Ingrid

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder like some one said but that is sad she is sick when her favorite flowers are in bloom i'd be sad if I missed my lilies get her a boquet for us and send our best regards tell her to get well soon On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:03:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

2004
I actually like the daylillies but for $200 they better come into my house, clean it, mop the floors and do windows.
Giselle (I like the daylillies I dig up free in the ditches)

I felt the same way about the Grant Mitchell daffodil catalog. I mean, is there even a slightly lowered chance of getting some variety that tips over if you pay a fortune for one bulb? Not bloody likely. Are these pricy bulbs REALLY two-hundred times more beautiful than affordable daffodils? If they were we'd go blind at the very sight of 'em. If I was rich instead of poor would I not think twice about the price? I'd hope if I was in a money-blowing mood I'd think more about the needy (I mean, for the price of one bulb for my selfish self, I could buy a couple dozen really nice big perennials to give to destitute gardeners).
-paghat the ratgirl
paghat wrote:

is
was
if
for
Personally, I like to get a lot for my money. My friends aren't impressed by expensive varieties, and people driving by can't tell from the street, so what would be the purpose?
But I probably have some stuff in my beds that at one time would have been outlandishly expensive. It's the same as the DVD player I own. I paid a couple hundred for it, but at one time, people paid a couple thousands for a DVD player, even though there weren't many DVD's to play in it. Their money helped pay the R&D costs of the new product, eventually allowing DVD players to almost become a commodity, and thus subject to price competition.
The people paying $200 a bulb are paying for the time spent developing them. As time goes on, the price will go down as new customers are needed. Eventually the R&D costs will be paid for, and the price will drop sharply. And someday we may be buying these bulbs by the bagful, and not put a significant dent in our wallets.
So we can look at this as a tree, and say that we, ourselves, would never dream of paying that kind of money, or we can look at the forest, and understand that it's not such an outlandish thing for single bulbs to cost that much.
(BTW... It's a good thing so many of us are shocked by these prices, and would never dream of paying them. It's important to have a few people in the world who will, but if there are too many of them, the price will never come down.)
--
Warren H.

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) in

sparaxis are colorful :-)