Ultra Modern Daylilies

ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall 2004 introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Enjoy,

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Baxter

I don't like them, they look like diseased mutants~

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather like dustcovers ;>

Perhaps I'm old fashioned in the flowers that I like, but I really can't work up any enthusiasm over the fussy ruffles that really obscure what should be a beautifully shaped flower.

More generally, it seems that many of the recent cultivars are aiming more for shock value than attractiveness - or features like repeat blooms and scent - which is a crying shame.

cheers!

Reply to
Cat

?? The flowers don't look like book jackets to me at all. Did you mean dustmop? :-)

With some 50,000 hemerocallis cultivars, there's bound to be considerable straying from the original(?) orange ditch-lily. I thought they were rather interesting. Not $200 interesting, but if someone planted one in my yard, I wouldn't dig it up. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

$200 for a daylily? Vey is mir. What are they made of? Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming train." Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Reply to
Iris Cohen

Seriously! For fifteen bucks, you can buy "Hyperion", one of the most gorgeous yellow daylillies in existence.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Any new cultivar of any new plant variety is pricy. New hybrids of daylilies are no exception. The serious hybridizer, seller, grower will buy a cutting edge daylily for its genes that produce a new color, new eye pattern, maximum bud counts and branching. They want to use in their own crosses or increase it to sell while the price is still high.

Also there are always the elite gardeners that want the first of any cultivar. Have you checked the price of a new, non tissue cultured Hosta, or a new non tissue cultured Iris? Or even any new non tissue cultured perennial? Oh heck, have you checked the licensing price the garden center must pay to be able to grow and sell The Wave petunia? Those $200 daylilies are priced that way because there are only a hand full of that particular cultivar in the whole world. Not making excuses for the prissiness, but explaining why there is a market for those high priced lovelies.

Wil

Reply to
Wil

You're paying too much - according to Eureka ( a daylily price guide) Hyperion goes for $5 a double fan.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

You have GOT to be kidding. If you are paying $15 for Hyperion you are paying about 3 times what the value is among daylily growers. And you will be getting a tissue cultured plant from your garden center that may or may not perform up to what a plant division is of Hyperion that made it popular many years ago.

Wil

Reply to
Wil

Yeah, but I'm thinking even if you DID pay that much, it's still just as pleasurable to grow as a $200 monster. Maybe even more so.

Kanter"

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I agree. They are ugly. When did sickly and deseased looks become fashionable?

Though beauty is in the eyes of beholder, I doubt a person cover with with frog skin will be admire by many.

Reply to
Karen

I love Hyperion. Someone in the neighborhood has a mass planting of them.

Reply to
Vox Humana

There were some that I would be happy to own, but not at that price. I can't see planting daylilies as specimen plants. I like them in large clumps that can be viewed at a distance. If you only have a couple plants, they bloom for three days and then are gone. Large clumps give a nice display for two or three weeks.

Reply to
Vox Humana

It began with the tulip frenzy in Europe, whenever that was (1800s? Earlier?)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Not to change the topic, but could you explain why a tissue culture would perform differently than a plant division? I though tissue cultures were an exact clone.

Reply to
JMagerl

In some plants the tissue culture performs well. However it has been proven by daylily growers that there is a percentage of so called clones, tissue cultured plant, that have problems with the plant performance. I have bought a cloned daylily from say, Wal Mart that did not even bloom. But others have bought the same named variety from Wal Mart that is performing well. Sometimes the depth of color saturation is not the same as the original by plant division. Sometimes the flower form just is not as perfect, ruffled, large bloom, good performance upon opening in the AM etc, as the division plant. I suppose the cause has to do with the process. Perhaps an imperfect process in the lab can mutate cloned piece. I don't know if anyone has even said definitively what causes the problem. Daylily growers only know it happens when the plant is grown. Also for the serious daylily grower, [as opposed to a gardener that wants to enjoy a plant at a reasonable price] some tissue cultured plants have been sold in the upper markets as true divisions at the true division price. You can see how that can cause a problem in the daylily market where prices are originally very high.

Wil

Reply to
Wil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Heh ;> No - I'm thinking of the wretchedly ruffled victorian mostrosities that they used to put on -everything- to "keep the dust off" ;>

Heh. If I'm going to spend $200, I think I'd buy peonies ;>

Cat

My DH is going to shoot you - I want Green Halo!

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Heh. I haven't told my spouse that I'm looking at:

cheers!

Reply to
Cat