Ultra Modern Daylilies

Page 1 of 3
http://franksmithdaylilies.com
Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall 2004 introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.
Enjoy,
Bobby
--
Bobby Baxter
TheGardenSite.com

I don't like them, they look like diseased mutants~
Robert

I agree. They are ugly. When did sickly and deseased looks become fashionable?
Though beauty is in the eyes of beholder, I doubt a person cover with with frog skin will be admire by many.

It began with the tulip frenzy in Europe, whenever that was (1800s? Earlier?)

some
and
There were some that I would be happy to own, but not at that price. I can't see planting daylilies as specimen plants. I like them in large clumps that can be viewed at a distance. If you only have a couple plants, they bloom for three days and then are gone. Large clumps give a nice display for two or three weeks.
frankly I prefur the nice clumps of day lilies I get at my garden center for $10.00 and I get a nice selection of colors and mine bloom quite nicely for almost three and a half weeks and some times I get late stalks with nice blooms after even that if he gets some one to pay that price per plant than those folks are crazy and he's a damn genius

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather like dustcovers ;>
Perhaps I'm old fashioned in the flowers that I like, but I really can't work up any enthusiasm over the fussy ruffles that really obscure what should be a beautifully shaped flower.
More generally, it seems that many of the recent cultivars are aiming more for shock value than attractiveness - or features like repeat blooms and scent - which is a crying shame.
cheers!
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:39:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@iguana.reptiles.org (Cat) wrote:

?? The flowers don't look like book jackets to me at all. Did you mean dustmop? :-)
With some 50,000 hemerocallis cultivars, there's bound to be considerable straying from the original(?) orange ditch-lily. I thought they were rather interesting. Not $200 interesting, but if someone planted one in my yard, I wouldn't dig it up. :-)

Heh ;> No - I'm thinking of the wretchedly ruffled victorian mostrosities that they used to put on -everything- to "keep the dust off" ;>

Heh. If I'm going to spend $200, I think I'd buy peonies ;>
    http://www.pivoinescapano.com /
cheers!
On 7/21/04 1:06 PM, in article roxLc.36296$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp1.uunet.ca, "Cat"

My DH is going to shoot you - I want Green Halo!
Cheryl

Heh. I haven't told my spouse that I'm looking at:
    http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tpwt02f.htm     http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tprd10f.htm     http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tprd38.htm
yet....
cheers!
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:06:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@iguana.reptiles.org (Cat) wrote:

I like the last one they are very pretty

That is a sweet one! I want veitchii. I had it, and lost it this past winter.....and had paid $45 for it (ouch!)
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Ouch! I did lose stuff this winter, only one of them a pricy ($20) daylily.
Cheryl
From a local magazine, Manitoba Gardener, Summer 2004, p. 28:
...a new introduction by daylily hybridizer Ted Petit - recently sold for whopping $6,000 at a Canadian Hemerocallis Society auction in Niagara Falls to Dr. Larry Gooden and his wife Pat Keisel. Obviously thrilled with the plant, the couple promptly named it "Larry's Obsession".
The photo show a beautiful flower, purple with white ruffled edge.
Andrew
(Cat)

like
Oh yes - I have seen "naming rights" go for obscene amounts of money. Those funds tend to go to clubs not the hybridizer. Cheryl
On 7/22/04 10:03 AM, in article dJPLc.49$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.mts.net, "Andrew

That has got to be the stupidest $6000 investment I've ever heard of. I know some chumps who still think they're going to retire on the massive fortunes they'll make when they sell their Beanie Baby collections, but even that doesn't come close.
(Cat)

mostrosities
=========================================================================> > "A cat spends her life conflicted between a deep, passionate and profound

It was naming rights and a charitable contribution. Cheryl
On 7/22/04 12:56 PM, in article alSLc.617$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny, "Doug

Falls
One small correction. It was not "sold" for $6,000. They buyer only gets to name the daylily. My opinion is that Ted Petit should "give" a fan of that cultivar to the winner who will name it. The in question by Ted Petit is a trend setter. It is a near black [probably a very dark red or grape] with a white toothy edge. The tooth edge looks something like the old pinking scissors cut. Teeth are a new trend in daylilies. Everyone is trying to get a toothed edge that will be reliable and will show itself in all weather conditions. Since I am a cold climate grower I know the frustrations of buying a toothy edged daylily that shows its edge under the hot sun of Florida but rarely shows up here, even in the best of weather. Time and experience with that cultivar will tell if the edge will show up in every climate.
Wil
On 7/22/04 2:32 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@accnorwalk.com, "Wil"

I've had the pleasure of meeting Ted Petit several times and hoisting a few beers with him. I suspect Ted gave the winner several fans.
If you are looking for teeth Wil, have you seen Rogue from Melanie Mason? Cheryl