UK: Garden security device wanted

We have a problem with "Yoofs" coming into our garden on an night; its not so much the being in the garden thats the problem (althoug that in itself is bad enough) but the destroying of plants in the process. I remember seeing on a UK gardening program sometime ago that had a device that was basically a blank shotgun cartridge that had a was held in a bracket then had spring loaded firing pin held in place by fishing line that could be strung around the perimeter that you wanted to protect. You disturbed the wire, the firing pin was released and the shotgun shell was fired, resulting in nothing more than a rather large bang. Does anybody know the name of this product?

TIA Dave

Please note: Yes I have informed the police. Yes I have installed PIR lighting (anymore and I'll need a direct line to the power station). No I don't wan't to kill anybody, just scare them away and preferably keep them out of the garden. Yes I have pyracanthas protecting the perimeter. No I don't want a 6ft fence. No I don't know why there are in my garden.

Reply to
dave

Hi Dave.. Try any good agricultural suppliers/farm shop.. I believe its known as a bird scarer!-)

See also a fairly recent very long thread about problems with 'yoofs' from URG

Jim

Reply to
Jim W

-- LORRAINE

------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via

LORRAINE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Most bird scarers use a gas cylinder slowly bleeding gas unttil an explosive mixture is reached. It would make a lovely target for a 'Yoof' to play with............. I suspect this, or an empty cartridge, would be more than slightly frowned on by the authorities these days, & quite probably by neighbours too! Next thing you know there will be a hit squad in flak jackets surrounding your house.................

H.

Reply to
Harvey

Quite possibly though I did answer the OP's Q I think!-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim W

dave snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (dave) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Perhaps you could borrow or rent a big or mean 'dawg'. Or if you could get your hands on a 'leeperd', then you could make them 'yoofs' wear Depends for the rest of their lives.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Sadly it would probably be illegal to use a shotgun blank in this way in the UK,

1 you'd break all sorts of noise regulations and 2 they are dangerous.. as we found out at the sailing club where we have a cannon which uses shotgun blanks to finish races... one boat finished close to the cannon and a hole was blown through a sail by the burning wadding!!!!

In our old place we to had problems with yoofs normally after their errant footballs, even the six foot fence was only a minor deterrant we finally moved to the country....

The Q

Reply to
The Q