Ugli tomato

When I lived in PA, the grocery store carried Ugli tomatoes. They were absolutely delicious. I have since moved out of state and I have only found one store that carries this tomatoe, and it's an hour away. I'd like to grow this tomatoe for myself come summer. Anybody know where I can purchase the seeds for it? I've done the google thing and I can't find a source.

Thanks In Advance

AEB:

Rbeezer

Try

They have heirloom seeds and I seem to recall this one being heirloom.

Reply to
animaux

Thank you but they don't have it.

AEB:

Rbeezer

I think the "Ugli Tomato" is a marketing ploy much like the "grape" tomato, which started with the cultivar "Santa". I only find reference to it at specialty grocers, If you find one, try to find out where it was grown, and the name of the packer, We may be able to backtrack from there and find the cultivar name. Many of the fancy tomatoes are imported from countries where growers are quite secretive so it may remain a mystery for awhile.

Reply to
FarmerDill

I think the "Ugli Tomato" is a marketing ploy much like the "grape" tomato, which started with the cultivar "Santa". I only find reference to it at specialty grocers, If you find one, try to find out where it was grown, and the name of the packer, We may be able to backtrack from there and find the cultivar name. Many of the fancy tomatoes are imported from countries where growers are quite secretive so it may remain a mystery for awhile....."

I think you are being unfair to the growers. I know of NO commercial grower who saves his own seed, but there are many commercial varieties not on sale to the "Amateur market". See Tomatoes in this link

might find some Packer who has decided to put his own "Brand" on a product.

Over here in the UK there is a move to describe small/under size apples as "child size". In the past when apples were sold "Jumble packed" that is loose in boxes you just picked out the size that suited your family best,

Reply to
David Hill

Every certified organic commercial farmer I know collects, ferments and saves their own seeds. Particularly tomatoes. They are all heirloom, of course, and these are small farms under 30 acres, but with tomatoes they do save their own seed.

Reply to
animaux

"...........Every certified organic commercial farmer I know collects, ferments and saves their own seeds. Particularly tomatoes. They are all heirloom, of course, and these are small farms under 30 acres, but with tomatoes they do save their own seed. ........."

Well I stand corrected, and it just goes to show the difference. Herein the UK all commercial Tomatoes are grown under cover, mostly glass, and the aim is to produce around ton plus to the acre, with the plants being grown for around 11 months.

Several wholesale seed companies sell certified Organic seed so this is what the vast majority use throughout Europe. Heritage varieties are in the main the preserve of the dedicated amateur.

Reply to
David Hill

Oh, when you said farmers I thought you meant farmers. Greenhouse tomatoes are not really tomatoes, are they? At least they don't taste like them. This being the case, I will agree with you that, most hothouse tomatoes here in the States indeed are hybrids which have very high yield with little to no taste...but weight. In that regard, seeds are bought. Only heirloom (which are called heritage? over there) can be saved and be assured to have the same offspring of the parent plant. You know all that...

animaux

animaux expounded:

not really

Plastic tomatoes. Ugh. I look for (and pay for) the best tasting tomatoes, usually the cluster tomatoes, at least they somewhat resemble the real thing. The plastic tomatoes ship well, that's about it!

Reply to
Ann

".........Oh, when you said farmers I thought you meant farmers......"

Here in the UK we just don't have the climate to grow Tomatoes outside so all have to be grown under cover. For Organic and heritage then this is the best link for the UK

David Hill

are not really

Yes, they do have vine ripened tomatoes now on the commercial market. We are very fortunate here in this part of the world as we have many farmers who grow tomatoes in hothouses, but use heirloom varieties. Eating in season is promoted here, as well. Keeps the small farmers in green all year!

Reply to
animaux

"David Hill" expounded:

organic farming, it's the fastest growing (no pun intended) farming industry now. I know I'm always looking for good organic produce and don't mind paying a bit more for it when I find it.

Reply to
Ann