Turning fish into fertilizer

The Native Fish Conservation is participating in a carp fishing event in Texas. The purpose of this event is to remove invasive carp from the waters of Texas. An estimated two tons of carp are going to be removed from the waters. However, organizers do not know what to do with all these dead fish. Does anyone here know how to turn fish into a safe organic fertilizer?

waters
the
Burying it comes to mind.....
Steve "Nature will take its course" Wolfe
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:14:31 +0000, DavidPT40 wrote:

I used to put a chunk of carp beneath each tomato plant. The plants loved it as did neighborhood skunks and cats.
Have you tried contacting your county extension agent? They may know how or someone who can help. Also, the ag dept at a local university/college should have some answers for you.
It may be as simple as mixing with soil and then turning it. Within a few months, you may end up with what you need.

waters
I actually find your question amusing. Not because it's a funny question, but because it brings back memories. About twenty years ago, my older brother (who was in his early twenties at the time) got this idea. He took his little toyota pickup truck to the local reservoir, and proceeded to fill it up with carp. He brought them home, and borrowing a neighbor's chipper/shredder, proceeded to chip them directly into the garden. It made quite a mess, and he was constantly rinsing the shredder off to keep it from gumming up. He then tilled it into the garden. We had to watch out for bones as we weeded for the next couple of years.
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 15:10:07 -0700, tmtresh wrote:

A scene right out of the movie "Fargo" except sans jardin.

Do you mean this movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116282 /
I've never seen it, but it sounds pretty funny.
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:24:45 -0700, tmtresh wrote:

Yes.
Nate wrote:

Yah.

It's a terrific movie, but one you hate to say you "enjoyed."

waters
2 tons is too much to attempt to bury under plants in the garden. With that kind of volume, I suspect you'll need to sell the stuff to the kinds of companies buy waste from fish processing facilities and turn it back into fish food and other stuff. Most of them are fairly low key, so you probably won't find them on the internet, talk to commercial fishermen and canneries.
Sameer

waters
Why not just eat the Fish?
Bigkoi

Some people do. I was always taught that we don't eat carp because they are bottom feeders. But then, I was taught the same thing about catfish and catfish is popular now.
Marilyn in Ohio

Bury it in the garden. One reference cites 6,000 to 8,000 fish (menhaden) per acre. This was apparently a trick settlers learned from Native Americans. Advertise 'Free Fish Fertilizer' in advance of the cull, and see how it goes.

The Indians used to bury a fish head and plant one corn seed on top of it. Excellent natural fertilizer. You could bury the fish, but may want to place chicken wire over it to prevent animals from digging them up. After a couple months the fish should be well decomposed into (very) rich compost.

waters
Bass-O-Matic.........
http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/june/ronco /
Watch the video clip Bass-0-Matic (Saturday Night Live parody - 1976 NBC)

A cat food company (or cow feeed company) will give you money for the fish. Then use the money to go buy organic fertilizer.

They will compost very well in sawdust and produce a nice organic soil ammendment. Farms do entire hogs this way I think if you web searched some variety of "animal carcase composting" it would put you right on the mark.
Beecrofter wrote:

What's a carcase? Like a suitcase?