tulip bulbs got missed

I live in Baltimore and I only planted half of my tulips. Is it too late?
Too late for what?
You better plants them ASAP before it snows Sunday as predicted.

If you were not able to get your forgotten tulip bulbs in the ground, you might want to consider potting them up and storing them in a dark cold plsce for the next couple of months and try forcing them. Do a google on "Forcing Tulips" to get more detailed information.
Hemma

I once planted tulips on New Years Day. As long as the ground isn't frozen, you can plant them. They will be worthless if you don't, so you have nothing to lose by planting them.
- Vox Humana -

frozen,
- Nehmo - I'm in Kansas City, Kansas, and it's December 17 (ground not frozen yet). I'd like to know if it's okay to plant them even if they've already sprouted. Are they still good? Will the ones that have sprouted die over the winter?
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

You certainly have nothing to lose by planting them. If you don't plant them then you will have nothing to show for the investment unless you are able to force them successfully indoors and I've never been able to make it work with tulips for some reason. I'd plant them to the full depth recommended and add a bit of loose mulch to the soil afterward. I've gotten away with planting narcissus, crocus, buttercup, and hyacinths in late December (in Knoxville, TN) and have had no more than the expected losses.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

sprouted
- John McGaw -

plant
- Nehmo - The the other options are to exchange the bulbs or, as you said, to attempt inside-the-house blooming.
- John McGaw -

than
- Nehmo - Actually, I'm doing a non-gardening building contract for a customer, and the customer added-on this little planting job. I hired (for a day) a girl, Jacky, who had the experience of having had worked at a retail nursery for years. Jacky was _very_ knowledgeable, and she recommended planting the un-sprouted emperors, but she said the small tulips, which had sprouted, should go inside. Knowing very little on the subject myself, I deferred to her. Now, after reading on the subject, I'll get her back and have her plant them despite her opinion.
However, I'm still not sure. Jacky could talk forever on the subject of planting bulbs. I may have her talk directly with the customer and take myself out of the decision loop.
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

If the bulbs were not bought pre-chilled, they won't bloom if you bring them inside unless you pot them and put them in the refrigerator for about 6 weeks. Simply bringing them inside would be worthless.
I've been trying to get the rest of mine in the ground here in Atlanta but the ground has been too wet. Been raining here since September. I planted the first bag - the rain started and it has not been dry enough since! Very frustrating!!!
I am going to put them in pots with potting soil.
I read a very nice quote yesterday about how if one only works in the garden when the wind and weather are kind, one will never master the craft of gardening.
Down in the low 20s (at night) here is the sunny south. And WET! (Atlanta).
Betsy wrote:

And you were out in the garden, right? :-)
umm, yeah, right, of course!!
actually I would be out there planting the d**m tulips if it were not so wet. It is futile to plant anything in mud...
Frogleg wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:58:19 -0500, Betsy wrote:

As long as you can dig plant them!
Hey Daddyo, can you dig it?
I knew that you could!!

I know someone who went out into her garden in late december with a pot full of boiling water to thaw the soil enough to plant some bulbs that she was too late in getting out. Where there's a will, there's a way - and yes, her tulips bloomed just fine that year.