Troy-Bilt Pony Model broken belt

     I was tilling my vegetable garden this afternoon and I broke the forward drive belt. I'll be needing a replacement. Fortunately, I was close enough to done that I can go on and plant when the time comes. (It was 25 degrees this week on Wednesday morning. We have kind of a short growing season.)
Any idea if that belt has a standard replacement that might be found locally at a NAPA store, for example? The broken belt has no numbers on it and my owner's manual says the belt will have the number imprinted on it. That leads me to believe other belts will fit. Of course, my owner's manual was printed in 1982 and things change.
Failing that, where can "official" belts be ordered these days? It seems so unlikely that the phone number in my manual still works. (I'm sure I remember that the original Troy-Bilt was bought out years ago.)
I'll search the web and figure out something if I get no advice here.
Steve in the Adirondacks

http://www.buymtdonline.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/FindingYourPart_10101_19502_-1
--
Dave

Dioclese wrote:

http://www.buymtdonline.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/FindingYourPart_10101_19502_-1
Thanks for the reply but that site doesn't seem to be working. I even tried shortening the URL back to the .com and it still doesn't open for me.
Steve

I have a pony too. I looked about for the manual only found a doc. to install a furrow. Still is not a belt a belt? I'd take the old one into your favorite shop and hands on compare.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /
Bill wrote:

Yeah, I suspect that a belt IS a belt. I reached that conclusion last night and I ran down to NAPA this morning to see if they had one that looked just like it. They didn't but said they could order one. They also suggested another place in town that sells snowmobiles and yard equipment. They didn't have it either so I told NAPA to go ahead and order it. I bet it will work just fine.
Steve

It worked for me. If the link is broken and on 2 or more lines, you have to copy and past all lines in order. I am sending this in a wide window so it should work as is. Tom J
Tom J wrote:

http://www.buymtdonline.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/FindingYourPart_10101_19502_-1
It still doesn't work here. Your link looks exactly like the original one; all one line ending in _-1. It doesn't say the site doesn't exist, just that it "timed out" trying to reach the server. Since you have proved that the server is there, It might work here if I try another time. Thanks.
Steve

Tis odd. The URL works for me. Now if I only needed a part;-)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Parts if only we could get all our parts.
Bill who has them all but sometimes not in order.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /
Bill wrote:

Tom J, who sometimes forgets where he put all his parts before going to bed!! :-(
Tom J wrote:

http://www.buymtdonline.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/FindingYourPart_10101_19502_-1
Not that it really matters, but I still can't open that site. I figured if I came back here today, it would work. I use Firefox and I wondered if the site might not be compatible. I copied the URL into IE and it doesn't work that way either. I tried 3 times and IE puts up a notice that it can't locate the server. (Firefox just says it timed out.) I can't imagine why this is because any other web site seems to open right up as usual.
Steve
May be a problem with the site.
Here are a few options.
Bill
<http://www.google.com/Top/Shopping/Tools/Gardening/Power_Tools/Parts/
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /
Bill wrote:

Thanks. The link to MTD Parts and acessories doesn't work but the other links that I tried from there seem to be OK. This page: http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=troy_bilt&mh % shows 67 different Pony models! (We have way too many choices in this country.) I can't even figure out which one is mine or find one that includes the serial number from my machine.
Well, I'm not going to spend any more time on this unless the belt NAPA has ordered for me turns out to not work. If I ever need a part that is complicated, I don't know what I'll do. Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the help.
Steve

You have to do the navigation then... http://www.mtdproducts.com/corporate/index.jsp
--
Dave

Dioclese wrote:

Your link worked. Yesterday trying http://www.mtdproducts.com didn't work but today it did work. HOWEVER... I could look at all the nice pictures of the new equipment, but when I clicked on "parts and accessories" I had the same problem. Nothing would open there.
Steve