Trough planting

I have a tiered garden. The second tier is supported by a brick wal
which is about 4.5ft high. We are going to sell our house and think this wil put people off with small children due to potential danger. I would like to plac some troughs along the wall and grow some plants which will reach abou 1.5ft to 2ft in height and also grow quite dense, preferable withou any supports. I thought of something like a conifer but do they lik troughs? A quicker growing plant/shrub would be preferable an something that can withstand frost. I am asking so much here - pleas accept my apologies. Thank you
-- Suek1234
any of the succulents, the tall ones should do great with good drainage. in Wisconsin, (-20oF) we grow barberry (thorny) and there are several low growing spirea. conifers do great in troughs, they are after all choice bonsai material. but they must be watered. unless they are dwarf conifers (the trough will help dwarf them too) they will need to be shaped and kept low. Ingrid
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:56:43 +0100, Suek1234