Tropical Plant IDs

Please help me ID a plant I rescued from a popular "Home Center". It stands just over 7 feet tall in the 14 inch wide pot it was purchased in. There are 2 separate plants. Can I divide them successfully?
http://community.webshots.com/album/142226966meBDZL
Many Thanks,
James L.
g'day james,
looks like a 'travellers palm' aka 'ravenala madagascariensis' more of the banana family not of the palm family, if so you will be able to seperate them no problems.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening
On Wed, 12 May 2004 04:39:17 +1000, len gardener

Excellent...thanks for the ID. I have always wanted one of these and it wasn't too bad a price.There are two distinct plants, so I'm gonna try a dissection. That makes four different bananas I now have.
Any Idea on the fourth picture. It was labeled a Banana Super, but that could be anything. It seems to be a dwarf variety, but I have only had it about a month. It has markings on the leaves that are reddish brown.
Thanks Again,
James
g'day james,
not that up on bananas sorry can't help with that one.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening
g'day james,

Thanks for the scoop, Ricky. It does have that BOP look at the bottom of the plant.
Thanks Again,
James
Hi, I'm voting with len on this one. It is Ravenala madagascariensis, the inner part of the petiole is more 'ragged' on a white bird. hth -_- how to reply remember no NEWS is good

That is a white bird of Paradise. The banana is a dwarf cavendish type most likely. If it is the super dwarf, you have it growing in too much shade. The spaces between the leaves are exceptionally long for superdwarf.
--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63