Tropical Plant IDs

Please help me ID a plant I rescued from a popular "Home Center". It stands just over 7 feet tall in the 14 inch wide pot it was purchased in. There are 2 separate plants. Can I divide them successfully?

Thanks,

James L.

Reply to
James

g'day james,

looks like a 'travellers palm' aka 'ravenala madagascariensis' more of the banana family not of the palm family, if so you will be able to seperate them no problems.

len

snipped

Reply to
len gardener

Excellent...thanks for the ID. I have always wanted one of these and it wasn't too bad a price.There are two distinct plants, so I'm gonna try a dissection. That makes four different bananas I now have.

Any Idea on the fourth picture. It was labeled a Banana Super, but that could be anything. It seems to be a dwarf variety, but I have only had it about a month. It has markings on the leaves that are reddish brown.

Thanks Again,

James

Reply to
James

But it's not. It's a white bird of paradise. Strelitzia nicolai. Yes you can divide it. Try a Yahoo search for more details.

Reply to
Ricky

g'day james,

not that up on bananas sorry can't help with that one.

len

snipped

Reply to
len gardener

g'day james,

you might have to wait until it flowers to be sure by the sounds of the other voter, but here's a link that might explain it a bit. for me the leaf looks too much like a banana where as the bop doesn't but that's just how i see it from way across the pacific.

snipped

Reply to
len gardener

Thanks for the scoop, Ricky. It does have that BOP look at the bottom of the plant.

Thanks Again,

James

Reply to
James

Hi, I'm voting with len on this one. It is Ravenala madagascariensis, the inner part of the petiole is more 'ragged' on a white bird. hth -_- how to reply remember no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

That is a white bird of Paradise. The banana is a dwarf cavendish type most likely. If it is the super dwarf, you have it growing in too much shade. The spaces between the leaves are exceptionally long for superdwarf.

Reply to
Elizabeth