Tropical bargains in S. California?

Hello,
I'm most interested in plumeria and passion fruit vines but could also be tempted by some lychee/lichee or guava. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just the white and yellow plumeria in say 1 gallon pots and the passion vine would ideally be the yellow type common to Hawaii but any variety that gives good fruit will do.
All these plants will be moved up North (S. Nevada) where they will Winter under cover. What is the next step up from Home Depot/Lowes/other BigBox stores? (yeah yeah anything would be a step up except from Walmart - blah blah blah) On my last trip I saw some plumeria in Home Depot that was a bit leggy but otherwise looking good. The passion vines looked fine.
I can hit San Diego, Vista, LA, etc. Any nurseries in Vista that sell to the great unwashed public?
Yes, I am aware of the various mail order companies. But I'm going to be in the neighborhood anyway and visiting nurseries is FUN!
Jay
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 22:21:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) wrote:

Check the nurseries listed at this site
http://www.crfg.org /
--

- Charles
-

Ebay!

No, I believe most do, but I had one that tasted very bad, quite bitter. One I have now has very small, dry fruit, I haven't tasted it, tho.
--

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
snipped-for-privacy@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) wrote:

Well here's how things turned out for me.
Rancho Cucamonga: Home Depot, guava, mango, 1 non-fruiting passion vine, no plumeria this time. They had some Australian ferns that looked like fun, Lowes - none of the above.
San Marco (between Escondido and Vista) was quite "frutiful" <groan>:
Lowes: guava, mango, plumeria ($25 each). I bought a Fredrick passiflora for $17 and a White Guava for $20 - both 5 gallon pots. Home Depot, guava, mango, passion vines. I bought passiflora quadrangularis for $17 (5 gal)
San Diego (Miramar Ave ?) Home Depot and Lowes, none of the above I think I saw a New Zealand tree fern that looked like fun at one of these stores.
Corona: 7 Oaks Nursery, As I was driving down the I-15 I saw a sign 7 Oaks Nursery (Weirick Rd turn Left) Plumeria starting at $9.99. Oh yeah! When I pull into the lot another sign says "Plant Sale- buy 3 get one free" Oh Baby!
The first person I talked to was quite knowledge and helpful. I had a nice time looking around. I picked up 4 (1 gal) plumeria starts. All over 2 feet high with small leaves emerging from the top. They looked like they came from healthy stock. It will be fun to find out what colors I got! They are having a sale April 30-May 3 ( only at their nearby wholesale location on Hostettler) (909) 277 2927
I'll definitely stop by the 7 Oaks on my next foray down South.
Jay