Tricky times - Winter/Spring - Caution needed

We are fast approching the trickiest time of the gardening year wherever you live. If, you're like me, you'll be like a race horse chomping at the bit. As each day passes you will notice more and more shoots begin to make their almost miraculous appearance. It's an exciting time but beware! It's not Spring just yet. Put your more tender plants out a couple of weeks too early and you could lose a couple of months growth when a cold night or hard wind comes just for one night only. If that happens, those tiny red shoots could turn black and the unfortunate plant has to start all over again.

Just the other week I had my shirt off while drilling vine eyes into a south-facing wall. As I worked, thoughts of uncovering tender plants began to fester as they do on such warm days at this time of year. But when I reached the top of the wall the north wind took my breath away and thoughts of uncovering plants evaporated in the breeze. Just as well. Within a week we had snow on the ground.

-- Regards Mike Gilmore WinsfordWalledGarden, SW England, USDA Zone9a

Reply to
Mike Gilmore