Trees, Root Growth, and Foundation Damage

Hi there,

I am planning to plant some tress in my backyard. I'm worried though about eventual damage by roots growing into my house's foundation (we do have a basement).

Specifically, I'm considering planting a Japanese maple. I'm thinking of planting this 20 to 25 feet away from the house. Is this sufficient?

I would like to keep an open mind about other trees. Are there particular species I should be worried about in terms of their roots damaging my house's foundation?? (eg. Oak, Maple, etc.)? I can plant as far away as 60 feet away from the house.

Thanks so much for the help!

Reply to
kevin_uoft

We used to have one about 15 feet from our house, and never had a problem. It was one of the dwarf kind that grows to 20' or so. The roots were shallow, but not real extensive.

Dunno about the others you mention.

Reply to
theapodan

Municipal studies have found just as much sidewalk damage where no trees were present as where they were. If your concrete is poured and reinforced properly and your soil is stable, tree roots should not be a problem. (ducking to avoid the flames from the "common sense/my daddy did it that way school). Keith

Reply to
Treedweller

Municipal studies have found just as much sidewalk damage where no trees were present as where they were. If your concrete is poured and reinforced properly and your soil is stable, tree roots should not be a problem.

(ducking to avoid the flames from the "common sense/my daddy did it that way school).

Keith

Get ready to duck.

I suspect that you may be reading and referencing municipal "studies" which were conducted primarily to relieve municipalities of liability for damage to sidewalks due to poor tree selection and placement. I'm guessing that we are discussing very biased studies.

I believe that your comments defy common sense and frequent observations. In our neighborhood the lifting & damage to sidewalks and driveways have all been due to tree roots. The concrete was properly poured, unless you feel that sidewalks and driveways must be poured with considerable rebar - a practice which I've never seen. Common sense says that a root growing to a 12" diameter under concrete has to push against something, and if the soil is "stable" then that increases the need for the root to push upwards.

In my childhood neighborhood, every home had at least one huge elm tree growing between the sidewalk and the street. Our home was the only exception on a very large street. Apparently "our" elm died after just a few years and the previous homeowner replaced it with an elm which turned out to be some dwarf version. (It had strange little seed pods which we children enjoyed stomping on and listening to the loud popping noise). After 40-50 years, our house was the only one which had a sidewalk which hadn't been lifted and/or replaced. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon