Trees and common problems

Page 1 of 2
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:10:38 -0400, "symplastless"
Oy vey.

You live nearby. If the hot weather (doubtless) and lack of rain/drought continue (most likely), wonder if its going to affect the native live oaks? Its not a common problem, so don't expect an answer from you know who to interrupt.
--
Dave

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 00:14:53 -0500, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

What normally happens here is that the trees, shrubs and many times herbaceous perennials will go dormant in the summer, but maintain. These trees I have are hundreds of years old. If you were to cut one down you would be able to see in the growth rings where drought periods caused the dormancy. The ring measure for that year will be negligible.
The only reason I water is to be sure the trees stay healthy. I use the cheapest watering device for trees; a simple yellow ring with holes in it. I set the timer after I measure an inch and how long it takes to put an inch down, and move it all around the yard. It's the most efficient way to water trees. I don't undertand why people have sprinkler systems which "mist" the are with forced small drops instead of impact sprinklers with much larger drops, much closer to the ground. Those misters waste half the water they put out.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message for my address if you would be so kind.
Found a picture of a dissection of cal. Live Oak. Unlike the red, black and white oaks, the live oak has large vessels throughout the growth increment equally sized from early to latewood. Thus stating that a reasonable amount of water would be required for loading throughout the growing period in girth. Just exactly when that is in your area I am not sure. If the tree does not have its water then yes that would be a limiting factor. Just what those limits are I do not know for sure. Of course two years of no water is worse than one. In a natural setting nurse logs would be present with soil contact in a sponge state and will be a water reservoir for dry times for the trees. Humans have removed this feature from most places humans come in contact. And if I am wrong I will be happy!
More on water here just for starters. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/soundscience/water.html
Articles on water: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/WATER.html
and an issue with water here: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/COP.html
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

I don't need you to dissect trees in my yard to tell me how much water is required. Texas has ten very distinctive regions, all different, and each corridor has it's own species, and each side of each of those have species which only live either within, or to one or both sides of the regional line. I studied rangeland ecology.
Live oaks are semi-evergreen trees which can be 500 years old with only a two foot diameter because of either years or decades of drought. They go dormant mid-season unless there is ample water. In this region of TX the Live Oaks need to have fully saturated root balls before planted or their ability to withstand hot winds all summer with ample water has a lower success rate. If the root ball is not saturated before planted there is no way to ever get to the inner portion of that ball no matter how much water you apply. So, you are not the only person who knows a newly planted anything cannot do without supplemental watering...thank you very much.
The single largest problem with trees is that they are planted too deeply. I know that, so does any arborist, or avid gardener. No dissection necessary.
My Live Oak trees require one inch of water per two week period to remain health and supple. After their spring shed and push the only thing which grows, in general and based on waterfall are branches, and some leaves. Mostly (during drought) the leaf will remain in a bud until either water is applied; rain or otherwise, or it will remain in bud until spring shed after catkins fall.
I don't recall asking about my trees, nor did I elicit help with them and no I won't send a branch. What for? My trees are healthy, so far. The single most dangerous problem in this region is Oak Wilt. As far as I know, there is no Oak Wilt in this area within at least 10 miles. That said, we prune only at times of the year when the insect vector can carry the disease from distances. If pruning is necessary to prevent falling on the house in high winds, it is recommended by the TX Dept of Parks and Wildlife, along with TX A&M to use pruning paint and spray tools with Lysol between each cut not just tree to tree. The other way it is spread is via the fungal mat and in that case they've had some success preventing Oak Wilt by trenching outside the rhizosphere.
Look, I appreciate it, but you are not the only one on the planet who knows something about horticulture, arboriculture or forestry. I find you gallantly irritating because I can't figure out what your agenda is with constant shilling. It's moderately annoying. If I need your help, I will ask.

Why are you fighting against dissecting and understanding trees. Knowing and seeing where when and how water is loaded is done by dissections. I guess you never have and never will dissect and understand trees. Have fun. First I would not come to your house and do anything for you. I was not talking to you , I do not like you due to your words and some how you think I am trying to win you. No way Jose,.
You say the trees go dormant. Please explain. When the top is resting the bottom is ofetn working hard. We proved that in the Northeast. Root hairs were active under ice and frozen soil. So when you say dorment what do you mean? What part, what does dorment mean, your words? The best tree biologist in the world are having trouble defining it this year. What we thought was a system shutdown is far from the truth.
Texas has ten very distinctive regions, all different,

I dissected live oak trees. So I see some unique feartures. The theme is the same. maybe you could explain some anatomy differences between your so called trees and what grow in other places in the world. Texas is still using wound dressing - by law, making flush cuts and blaming decline of improperly planted, prune and fertilized trees on some insect, bug or whatever except - hey , I screwed the tree up. Of course we all see Texas finest quality in George Bush. Ya know, people are different in Texas.

Please define evergreen.
They go dormant mid-season unless there is ample water.
What goes dorment , what exzactly do they do to be dormant?
In

I aggree and say that the number one problem worldwide is improper planting. Then improper mulching, fertilizing and yes pruning. So why are you not happy that I offer some suggestions on the latter? No, but a dissection would show in court that the flare at the base of the tree is not a root flare it is a trunk flare and should not be barried when planted.

What do you call a healthy trees? My Christmas tree was doing great in my basement in januray. It was doing great. We watered it and all. BUT IT HAD BIG PROBLEMS. From someone that does not dissect trees please explain what you mean when you say healthy tree. What features do you use to define a healthy tree?
The single most dangerous problem in this region is Oak Wilt. As

TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog! TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the salvage hog!
That said, we prune only at times of the year when the insect

TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap.
If pruning is necessary

LOL NOT LYSOL silly person. 10% household beach. Man, where did you get your education on trees? Don Staples. Or are you Don Staples? Wound dressing does not stop rot. You fool. If you cannot stop rot how can you stop oak wilt? Silly silly person. maybe if you stoped acting like an expert from texas with Bush, maybe people who dissect trees can offer suggestions. many many many people have dissected trees, minus you Don Staples.
The other way it is spread is via the fungal mat and in that

Don't ask me for help. Please go to Don Staples, Don Staples. I am growuing a forest and you, Don Staples are not allowed near it. Pathogens will be controlled.
Again, all you have to do is look and you will see when water is loaded. Not just listen to somebody like you who claims to be an tree expert yet has no understanding of tree biology. That's annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I repeat for those interested in helping trees!
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.
Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/T/tree_planting.html
Improper Mulching - http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html
Improper Pruning and Wound Dressing (Unless you live in Texas then flush cuts and wound dressings are ok) http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning
Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry) http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html
Tree Farming and Related Problems http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND /
Troubles in the Rhizosphere http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Tree Biologist www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:45:12 -0400, "symplastless"

Holy moly, John, You are friggin' losin' it! Or lost it long ago. Or never had it, whatever the hell "it" is.
Maybe you are just one of the better trolls I have seen. I don't freekin' know! You are fascinating. Watching your obsessions manifest is fascinating.
You are like watching a disaster in it's unfolding, except that the end never arrives! My fascination with your postings, ramblings, and rantings disturbs me.
Likely I just fed your need. Are you like Mr. Fat Bastard? Will you totally, like, pop and blow all over our screens one of these days?
Have a thin mint, John. Just one thin mint.
Charlie

What are you doing here kid? You know how long John has been posting here. What effect has anybody ever had on him? Zero. Why get in the show when you can just watch it? Leave him to Staples and Jangchub. Gives them something to do and keeps John out of trouble. Got another mint?
Adam & Eve
God one day decided he ought to check in with Adam to see how things were going.
"Adam....How are things going?"
Adam replies that he considers himself quite fortunate to be living in such a beautiful and peaceful place but he did have a couple of questions to ask, if the Lord didn't mind, of course.
"No problem," said the Lord, "Ask away"
"Well Lord, I was wondering why you made Eve so beautiful? Not that I'm complaining, mind you."
"Adam, I made Eve so beautiful so that you would like her."
"Oh, well yes, I do like her very much. Thank you Lord. You made her so beautiful, but why is it then that you made her so stupid?"
"Well Adam, I had to make sure she liked you too!"
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:45:12 -0400, "symplastless"

Yes you were....hahaha.

No way Jose,. What's the comma for?

I didn't say a system shuts down. Dormant is very much alive, but not actively transpiring.

George Bush is from Connecticut. I make cuts outside the branch collar. Ever been to Austin, TX? What are you talking about now?

Oy, evergreen is any plant which does not shed it's leaves, needles or any other green part of the plant. Evergreen, the opposite to deciduous. Semi-evergreen, plants which shed their leaves, but are never naked for any period of time.

Exzactly? Dorment?

I already know this stupid. One time I said root flare. I misspoke. I know what I meant, so did the person I was talking to.

Eye balls?

Mental.
Mental to the tenth power.

No, I'm Victoria. Yes, Lysol, OR dilute bleach ten to one. Geesh.

Asshole, we dress the cuts in the event they are made during the life cycle of the insect vector who will deposit the disease onto freshly cut wood. They prefer the cuts. It's not to stop rot. Stop making it up as you go.

I don't need his advice either, but I'd go to him way before I'd go to a nutjob like you.

I never claimed to be a tree expert. Oh, I forgot, in your mind I'm now Don Staples.

Nobody reads your crap, so I deleted it.
love, Victoria

If the lenticels shut down that would be one thing. Maybe you should read A NEW TREE BIOLOGY. Are you trying to say trees do not make food when there are no leaves on the trees???????? I don't think so!!!!!!!

you post such nonsense.

If you cannot stop rot how can you control things that lead to rot? You dummer than I thought.

Sure he offers a great salvage program. just right for you. http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

No, Don Staples is you.

Oh well. If you will be had, you will be had.
Improper Pruning http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning
Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry) http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html
Tree Farming and Related Problems http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND /
Troubles in the Rhizosphere http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Tree Biologist www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:17:40 -0400, "symplastless"

Wait, it's okay for you to call what a plant eats is food, but we can't use the term "feed" the plants? Ding dong.

A conifer may shed a leaf now and then caused by dieback or a number of things. It is an evergreen, no? Ding dong.

You see nothing.

snot just shot out of my nose I laughed so hard

I never mentioned rot, you did. I don't paint fresh cuts because I prune at a time when the insect vector is not present. That happens in July and January. Oak Wilt is not rot.

I don't need him, thanks. My trees are healthy.

Check please.

What are you talking about? Is this Shigo still alive? I think I'll send him a few of your posts to see if he knows how insane you are.

I think I finally caused this idiot to blow a fuse.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:29:17 -0500, "Don Staples"

I REFUSE to give you all the credit! Remember, I am also you now.

Jeez, now I got two voices in my head, but hey, at least they carry on a conversation.

Nobody is reading your crap you psyco
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.