Tree Rose Questions

In a moment of weakness, I've bought a Tree Rose from Jackson & Perkins - Princess of Wales Hybrid Tea 36" Tree Rose, and a ground cover rose to go at the base of the planter -- Baby Blanket Garden Ease.
I was weak.
I've never grown roses, and I've had trouble finding details about care & feeding of Tree Roses online. I've got the following questions;
* Soil -- Can I use my regular 1/3 Canadian peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 perlite? * Planter -- Plastic, wood, ceramic or clay? * Should I be spraying for bugs, mildew, etc. BEFORE I see symptoms, pro-actively? * J&P will deliver at any time. I've selected 04-15-05, a date I pulled out of my, em, ear. What time should she go into her planter and into the front yard? I'm USDA Zone 8 (midlands South Carolina).
Many thanks!
Donna
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:37:38 GMT, Donna deMedicis

Where are these roses being grown? What zone? And what is the base soil?
zhan
BillandJeny wrote:

She (all my plants are girls) will be grown in a planter in my front yard. 6+ hours of sun a day. Zone 8. Base soil? Um, it's a planter
Donna
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:10:35 GMT, Donna deMedicis

My apologies. all my questions were answered in your first post. I must have a problem with reading comprehension.
I wouldn't use the mix you've posted it is too light and will dry out too fast and not be sturdy enough for the root to anchor to protect the plant against the winds. Plastic would be the best choice of the four the soil won't dry out so fast and it won't rot. ( I usually use clay but I fiberglass the inside to eliminate the problem of fast drying) It is not a good idea to spray unless you have an active problem with harmful bugs. few of the sprays have a residual effect. Meaning they are contact sprays and must make contact with the bug you are trying to eliminate to have any effect. Beside usually the bad bugs return fast than the beneficials. Mid April is great for your area. Have your planter ready and as soon as your girls arrive tuck them in.
Hope this helps, zhan