Tree root under lawn....

Our property has a lawn which is bordering a wooded area. Somewhere in the wooded area is a tree which has extended its roots under our lawn (and our neighbours' lawns). This root system manifests itself by poking tiny "branches" up the lawn with leaves that are plainly visible. So when I see this I dig down with the shovel and pull up as much of the root as I can. This of course, rips up the lawn which makes it look ugly.
So what can be done about this?
Thanks for any help.
Thanks for respond. Yes I am sure it's not bamboo, which is not common :) in frigid Canada. The leaves are kind of orange/red and the roots could be as thick as 1" diameter. No I don't have pictures but I will remember to take some before I pulled the little buggers up next time.
JNJ wrote:

kwong (at) nbnet (dot) nb (dot) ca