tree root problem

I have a ficus and some other tree I can't identify with several thin trunks, which were planted too close to the house by the previous owner.
The roots - and I can't tell from which tree really flourished this year, and appear to have grown under the 3 ft wide concrete walkway forcing it upward, and which has now cracked. Presumably the roots have continued on and are growing under the foundations. I am concerned that there will be a problem with the house foundations, as we are pretty much on concrete like soils, so the roots can't go down. I also have a pepper tree whose roots appear to have grown 30 odd feet and are approaching the house.
I am wondering if I can just some how cut the roots so they don't continue to grow under the house or am I going to have to cut the trees down? Helen
It is unlikely that the roots of the tree are under the foundation, tho' it is possible. I would have a consulting arborist come out and inspect. It may be possible to cut some of the roots without doing appreciable damage to the tree, but it is a very tricky and sometimes unpredictable operation. As for your walk you will need to fix or re-pave it - I would get the arborists advice on how to do this as well.
The question you need to answer is how highly do you value your trees? EMail me off list and I'll refer you to someone.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

trunks,
Hi, The other tree with several thin trunks could be another species of ficus, there are many and others are also problems around concrete. Cutting the roots can lead to other problems and would have to be done regularly. Depending on how close to the trunk the roots would have to be cut could lead to the tree becoming unstable in winds. Consider removeing these trees or keep them cut to about eight feet tall as a large shrub, they will be a pain keeping them at this height also but probably would not be much trouble to your foundation. The 'pepper' tree, assuming Schinus terebinthifolius is a prime canidate for the saw. http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/schinus.html HTH, -_- how to reply- no NEWS is good
I do not know much about but I know ficus can be quiet destructive because roots doesnt grow deep, rather run on the surface getting really huge. The best location for this kind of trees is away to any construction.
--
Paulo