Tree root damage

Hello, I had to have a tree taken down and in the process I notice they rant over the large exposed root at the base of another tree and knocked the bark off the top. Root is 5-6" in diameter (it's a large tree) and the piece of bark knocked off is about 3" by 6".
Will this hurt the tree ? Should I put something on it ? The root in question is similar to that seen in this picture:
http://www.treeboss.net/images/buttressing.jpg
Thank you, sorry in advance for the cross-post.

Exposed roots are always getting the bark on top knocked off. It doesn't seem to cause any real trouble.