Tree Recommendations

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a relatively small tree I'd like to plant through a deck I intend building at the top of my garden.

The site is north facing, with a reasonable amount of sun, and the soil has been well cultivated over the years so it's in good condition.

I'm after a smallish tree with as much seasonal interest as possible (flowers, autumn colour, interesting bark), but one that hasn't got invasive roots because although it won't be near any buildings it will be close to the boundary with a neighbour and they have a path that I don't want to damage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Carnell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Lacebark Elm

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

"David E. Ross" wrote >> Thanks in advance for any help.

He's from the UK and over here climate zones are meaningless, we have a Maritime Climate not a Continental Climate like N.America. Very few UK gardeners would have even heard of such things.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Reply to
Nicole

My suggestion is Acer Palmatum Osakasuki. It fulfils all your requirements and can be maintained to any height you require. If this Acer is not to your liking then try some of the other Acers that are sun tolerant

Rupert

Yes, but there is only one (Sunset) zone that is comparable to anywhere in the UK, and that is to a very small part of the UK. If Sunset had extended its recommendations (and zones) for the coastal strip of Canada and the USA from Vancouver to Anchorage, it would be more useful for here.

However, the USA market for that is, er, a trifle limited :-)

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, it's certainly given me some food for thought.

All the best, Tony.

Reply to
Tony Carnell

If this is a deck you will be using in winter for any reason, a tree that drops its leaves will make it extremely hazardous for you and your family. But my suggestion would be a Eucalyptus that you can keep at the height and size you want. They're evergreen and many have lovely juvenile foliage and colour.

help you find the right tree, if the idea interests you. Myrtle might work for you but only you know the size you can happily accommodate and whether it will be happy in your climate.

-- Sacha

South Devon

Reply to
Sacha

Go to a nursery and ask about small patio trees. they'll know.

Nicole

In article , "Nicole" writes: |> |> Go to a nursery and ask about small patio trees. they'll know.

Don't bet on it ....

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren