Tree Recommendation

I live sort of in between zones 5 and 6 in the lattitude of Indianapolis, IN, can someone recommend a good tree or shrub that would fit this description? I want to screen out an eye sore that I see out a window that is in the 6-12 height range, so i want the tree to get leafy,dense, & have horizontal growth in that height range, I don't care if it gets to 25-30 ft, but no higher. I have some rather large trees near (5-6 ft away) this area that prevent it from getting 100% sun. I was going to pick a Bradford Pear, but many sites online recommend it to get full sun. Can it grow well in "spotty off/on" sun? Any other better suggestions? Thank you.
hawthorne - crataegus viridis 'winter king' would be nice. it's a beautiful tree with its winter berries, it flowers in the spring, has beautiful bark and is drought tolerant - well suited to street sites and your back yard as well.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bradford pear is rather brittle and limbs break in windy weather. They are no longer advised in our area. Also, in zone 6 and 7 they reseed freely and threaten indigenous trees. Carolyn

Fu;; sun is described as between 6 to 8 hours of sun a day. Watch the area your are concerned with and time it and see how close you are to reaching 6 hours. You might consider a full sized cherry, apricot or peach tree also.
Dwayne

On 5 Jan 2006 13:42:52 -0800 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
] I live sort of in between zones 5 and 6 in the lattitude of ] Indianapolis, IN, can someone recommend a good tree or shrub that would ] fit this description? I want to screen out an eye sore that I see out ] a window that is in the 6-12 height range, so i want the tree to get ] leafy,dense, & have horizontal growth in that height range, I don't ] care if it gets to 25-30 ft, but no higher. I have some rather large ] trees near (5-6 ft away) this area that prevent it from getting 100% ] sun. I was going to pick a Bradford Pear, but many sites online ] recommend it to get full sun. Can it grow well in "spotty off/on" sun? ] Any other better suggestions? Thank you. ]
How about an Amur Maple? Acer tartaricum subsp. ginnala forms a wide very bushy shrub, has very decorative red samaras against deep green leaves in summer, and excellent fall color. Unlikely to get larger than your target it is none the less a rapid grower, takes wind well and isn't bothered by too much or too little sun.
-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to snipped-for-privacy@ebayadelkadell.applecom