tree pruning with a bad trunk shape

Hi,
Does anyone have some advice for pruning this tree (see pictures) ? It has a bad V shape at the base, so I was considering major surgery by removing the smaller V branch (on the right), but the larger branch seems to have some nasty wounds in the bark...so I don't know!
Thanks, Chris
http://images9.fotki.com/v168/photos/4/43576/2679636/tree_full-vi.jpg
http://images15.fotki.com/v226/photos/4/43576/2679636/tree_trunk-vi.jpg
head back all the growing tips! of the smaller diameter trunk off the lower V on the right. then head back all the tips of the branches of the higher V on the left so the ONLY growing tip(s) is on the branch centered in the middle. as the tree grows those headed back trunks will become branches with a better crotch.
may take years. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3 www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I think it is too late.

USDA Zone 8
Thanks for the advice Ingrid. Travis, if you think it's too late would you suggest I just leave it as is?
It doesn't have to be a quick fix, we aren't moving for at least 10 years.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If you had pruned out the smaller of the branches when the tree was very young the remaining branch would have become the central leader.
As is the tree is prone to split at the "Y". I would still take out the smaller branch and hope for the best.

USDA Zone 8
dont have to take it out, just top it a bit and over the next few years the central trunk will thicken while that branch wont and it will become a stronger crotch. you can always take the branch off later if it doesnt strengthen. taking out the two main side branches would be overpruning. seriously, I did this to a ginko with a double leader and it does have one hellatiously large branch now arching over a walkway, but the crotch is getting more "ramified". Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3 www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Thanks again everyone.
I received another email telling me the tree looks like a 'silver maple' which can be nuissance (lots of feeder roots, helicopter fruit droppings...) and maybe I should just remove it altogther.
I like the fact that it's a big tree, it is helping shield some road noise, but we do have a pool close by so the fruit droppings would be a problem. I live in Ottawa Canada BTW.
I think at this point I might as well just aggresively prune the small branch without removing it completely and hope that the central branch grows stronger.
On 24 Sep 2005 14:50:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Here's some basic advice: http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/pruning_young.aspx http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/pruning_mature.aspx
As fro your specific tree, it isn't a great situation. I agree it looks like a questionable maple, and it's clearly got problems. If it was adjacent to a nice oak, I'd say go for the basal cut (i.e., removal). Since it's all you've got, plant another (different species) and make the best of this one while you have it. Consider reversing the earlier advice. Shorten the larger side with the damaged bark (which may represent a failure point at some distant time) and develop the smaller branch into the main leader.
Avoid "limbing up" and stripping out the interior; low branches support development of a strong trunk.
good luck, Keith Babberney ISA Certified Arborist