Tree Pruning

I am in Knoxville, TN. I have two "umbrella plants/trees" in my yard. One looks like an umbrella and the other looks like an umbrella with a bad hair day! Out of control. When should I shape up these plants/trees? We have had a very mild winter here with temps into the 60s for days at a time. It looks like February will be colder.
Jim Pettway
When I lived in Arkansas, the TV gardener that came on every Wed at 5:00 PM said he pruned everything around the 15 th of February. That included fruit trees, grapes, roses, etc. I would imagine the same would hold true for you.
Dwayne

The use of common names can be confusing. What is the botanical name of your trees?

USDA Zone 8
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:15:21 -0500, "Jim Pettway"

The best time to prune a deciduous tree is when the sap is not flowing. I'm in Oak Ridge and my trees are currently in dormancy.
Try late Winter or very early Spring. Don't remove more than 1/3 of any branch.
Sherwin D.