Tree identification help needed

We have this tree on our property and would appreciate help to identify what kind this is. I looked in the books and couldn't figure it out:

scorpster

You'd make it much easier to help if you'd disclose where in the world this tree is growing... would also help to have a view of the entire tree,

Reply to
brooklyn1

This is in Orange County (Southern California). I tried to also take a photo of the entire tree but there is another different type of tree in front of it blocking the view so I could just take a photo of the top portion. It's pretty tall, perhaps 20-30 feet tall.

Reply to
scorpster

The long leaf buds and the shiny leaves with smooth edges make me think of some kind of ficus (although some have fuzzy or lobed leaves). I would cut a small branch and take it to a local nursery for identification. When you ask, let them know whether it goes dormant (even very briefly) in the winter, which will help the identification.

As an alternative to a nursery, you might visit a nearby community college that has a botany department or even UCI or UCR.

Reply to
David E. Ross

The thin appearing bark makes me think of the local hackberry trees here in central Texas. Yet, when I do some research on that species, the hackberry does not have a range in Texas either. So, I'm more confused now.

Dioclese

The photo tree has vanilla like seed pods showing over what appear to be red petals.

Since we don't know where the tree is located, I would call it an exotic.

Reply to
D. Staples

Do the leaves have a strong smell? does it have white sap? describe the flowers - they may not be conspicuous if you have a scanner scan a branch and post it/

Reply to
Garrapata

I took some more photos including a close-up of the leaves and the trunk after we had it trimmed. Maybe this will help to identify?

scorpster

pictures, and I still think it's a Ficus, though I can't be sure of the species. (Ornamental Ficus are indoor plants only, where I live.)

Maybe Ficus microcarpa?

Here's an article on ornamental Ficus (as landcape plants):

Pat Kiewicz