Tree identification help needed

We have this tree on our property and would appreciate help to identify what kind this is. I looked in the books and couldn't figure it out:
http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/unknowntree01.jpg
http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/unknowntree02.jpg

You'd make it much easier to help if you'd disclose where in the world this tree is growing... would also help to have a view of the entire tree,
This is in Orange County (Southern California). I tried to also take a photo of the entire tree but there is another different type of tree in front of it blocking the view so I could just take a photo of the top portion. It's pretty tall, perhaps 20-30 feet tall.

Do the leaves have a strong smell? does it have white sap? describe the flowers - they may not be conspicuous if you have a scanner scan a branch and post it/
--

09=ix

I took some more photos including a close-up of the leaves and the trunk after we had it trimmed. Maybe this will help to identify?
http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/unknowntree03.JPG
http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/unknowntree04.JPG
http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/unknowntree05.JPG
http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/unknowntree06.JPG
http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/unknowntree07.JPG
scorpster said:

I agreed with David Ross' ID of some sort of Ficus, based on the original pictures, and I still think it's a Ficus, though I can't be sure of the species. (Ornamental Ficus are indoor plants only, where I live.)
Maybe Ficus microcarpa?
Here's an article on ornamental Ficus (as landcape plants): http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1786 /
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
On 5/10/2009 3:03 PM, scorpster wrote:

The long leaf buds and the shiny leaves with smooth edges make me think of some kind of ficus (although some have fuzzy or lobed leaves). I would cut a small branch and take it to a local nursery for identification. When you ask, let them know whether it goes dormant (even very briefly) in the winter, which will help the identification.
As an alternative to a nursery, you might visit a nearby community college that has a botany department or even UCI or UCR.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

The thin appearing bark makes me think of the local hackberry trees here in central Texas. Yet, when I do some research on that species, the hackberry does not have a range in Texas either. So, I'm more confused now.
http://forestry.about.com/od/hardwoods/ss/hackberry.htm
--
Dave

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

The photo tree has vanilla like seed pods showing over what appear to be red petals.
Since we don't know where the tree is located, I would call it an exotic.