tree identification

Hello, I need to identify this tree (unfortunately dying) in order to replace it with a new one of the same species.

Many thanks, Paolo

Reply to
pluttero

pluttero

Looks like a spruce tree... not dying, already dead.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

From the first photo, I thought it might be some species of cedar (perhaps Cedrus deodara). However, the foliage makes me think of coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens).

Before replacing your dead tree, it would be a good idea to find out why it died. Otherwise, you risk having another dead tree.

Reply to
David E. Ross

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hello, thanks everybody for your answers. My idea was about some kind of fir (Abies alba ?). I would discard the Sequoia option, since the bark looks quite different, moreover the tree (sorry I forgot to mention) is in Italy, where sequoia I think are quite uncommon. The cedar theory instead, put me in doubts: looking at some pictures online, I should say it is very similar... So, how can I distinguish between a cedar and a fir ? Sorry for my incompetence, but I am just starting to work in my garden :) Anyway I would not plant the new tree exactly in the same place (close by there is a persimmon tree, which grew up a lot, so the new tree would have little sun exposure). Thanks, Paolo

Reply to
pluttero

The general form in the first photo resembles a cedar, but the foliage in the second photo shows that it is definitely NOT a cedar.

From the illustrations in my favorite garden book, it could indeed be a fir (Abies); but it could also be a spruce (Picea). If the tree ever had cones, the distinction is easy. Fir cones point up, and spruce cones point down.

Unless you are in the mountains, I think the climate in Italy is not appropriate for either fir or spruce. I never see either growing where I live, which has a climate similar to coastal Italy. I do see many cedars. Redwoods do grow here, but they struggle.

Reply to
David E. Ross