Tree health question

Just bought a house. One of my trees has a kid's "tree fort" built onto it from previous owner. They used nails and huge bolts, some drilled completely through several limbs. I wish to remove the fort and am wondering if I should remove the bolts and nails or if it would be better to leave them as is since they have been in place for 10 or more years. Thanks for any advice.
Remove all of the hardware, and let the air get at the wounds. If the tree is healthy it'll eventually close around the openings. The hardware isn't that big a deal to leave in place except that some unfortunate with a chain saw will discover them 40 years from now. The wood appressed to the braches and causing them to grow around is the real problem.
My 2 cents.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

I'm not sure, but it would seen that removing the bolts might create open wounds that would allow for entry of disease and insects. sed5555

pretty well in there for good (or bad). I once tried to remove a lag screw that was a foot peg for my tree house and twisted it in half without ever budging the part that was in the wood.
As someone who has hit a few bits of steel with a chainsaw, I appreciate the poster who was looking out for me, but I suggest leaving the hardware, as removal is likely to do more harm than good, if it's even possible. The growth that has formed to cover the wounds made by the hardware will likely be damaged, breaking one of the walls between healthy/unhealthy wood. Just try to remember to warn any future sawyers who may have cause to cut into this tree.
Keith Babberney ISA Certified Arborist For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp . For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com /
On 5/17/04 10:00 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news.grandecom.net,

gapping holes will mend if you paint them with a tree paint-tar or whatever it is called. The tree should grow over the damaged areas within a year or two. Nails, bolts left in trees could severely injure anyone in the future using a chainsaw. And just think...it might be you or some one you care for...that gets hurt. (Just how good is your memory?) It will never happen to someone who 'deserves it'! Gary Fort Langley, BC Canada
To reply please remove...yoursocks...