Tree for indoors

I want to grow a Karaka tree (alternate name: Corynocarpus laevigatus; common name: New Zealand Laurel).
I want to grow it INDOORS near a 10-foot tall window that gets plenty of light but never direct sunlight. I want to keep the tree between 4- and 6-feet tall.
My local nursery can special-order the tree from a wholesale grower near Santa Barbara, California -- about 160 miles from my home in Riverside, CA. (The tree is NOT imported from New Zealand).
Should I order the tree in a one-, three- or five- gallon can?
How can I be sure that the grower will deliver a decent-looking plant?
I don't know if the grower grew the tree in plain garden soil (i.e., "dirt"). Since garden soil is not recommended for container plants (especially, indoor plants), should I wash the soil from the roots and re-plant the tree in a good-quality potting mix? If "Yes", how can I do this without killing the tree?

Does the grower have an address/telephone....... Why not write/call them and ask? Emilie