Tree dead at top, but growing at bottom

Hi,

A few spring days of 100 degrees here in Las Vegas caught me off guard, and has killed the top of my Pepper tree

but it's now sprouting green all around the base

Where should i cut the trunk off at...if at all? It's a newly planted tree, only about a 1.5" in diameter, and stands about 10 feet tall.

thanks waterboy

Reply to
waterboy

waterboy

This is a good question. I would recommend reviewing this book:

you library does not have it, ask them to order it.

Also, it sounds like you would be better starting with a healthy tree. For correct planting and care instructions I STRONGLY "SUGGEST" this book.

are some web sites that may also help you.

  1. Techno Tree Biology Dictionary
    . Look up "logging".

  1. Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities worldwide on tree systems today online at
    Literature Available by Dr. Shigo is here:
    Hard to get Documents
    If you have any suggestions please let me know. 610-864-5251

John A. Keslick, Jr. Tree Biologist

of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY! Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Where in Vegas do you live? If I were you, I'd replace the tree. If you want, you can let it grow up from the base/roots - let the healthiest shoot(s) grow and see what it does. Probably won't look as good is it would have otherwise.

Did you keep the tree well watered? By now it's been 100+ for a while in Vegas. Your tree has been in trouble for a long time, you just didn't know it. I lived near Nellis for a while, and in Henderson for several years. I"ve lost several trees, and by the time I realized the tree was in trouble, it was too late. Young trees (and mature trees) need regular deep watering during spring, summer and fall in Vegas, and some water in winter does not hurt.

Reply to
Matthew Reed

I live in Southwest LV

I planted the pepper tree late last fall, without a water system (that's why I got in trouble) but now I have a Drip system installed.

I wanted to keep the tree, because it's alive, and I'm really not concerned about looks (it's in the back-yard)

I thought there might be something "standard" done in this situation -- short of replacing it. But, maybe I'll experiment, by cutting some of the dead/top off until it look reasonable.

thanks waterboy

Reply to
waterboy

You can just cut it above the highest green shoots and see what happens. It sounds like this will result in a lopped-off trunk, which is not a good things for most trees. The new sprouts are probably not attached as well as the original branch structure. If there is any property or human activity under the tree, I would remove it now before it can get big and heavy. If it is in the open lawn, I'd say give saving it a try, if you are so inclined. Just don't expect too much for your efforts. Consider planting a replacement this fall to hedge your bets.

Keith Babberney IS Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT

Reply to
Treedweller