Tree Cauterization

I need to cut two major branches from an african sumac in order to build a wall around my property. I know that putting "tree tar" on the wounds afterwards is a bad idea, but what about cauterization with a blowtorch? I am interested in preventing infection to the tree as well as discouraging new growth from beginning at the cut points. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
No and No, Make the final cut at but not into the branch collar. Use a pruning technique that removes most all of the branch before you make the final cut so as not to tear the bark off the tree.
On 22 May 2005 08:46:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@softhome.net wrote:

Blowtorch? Blowtorch? Trees and blowtorches do not mix.
Learn how to make the cut properly for minimal damage to the tree and then let nature take its course. The tree will be fine as long as it is not attacked by a blowtorch or any other incendiary device.
John