Tree advice

I'm looking for a bit of advice about this tree.
Firstly does anyone know what it is? It looks a bit like a willow, but I'm quite sure it's not.
Secondly, would you recommend that I take it down given it's position?
It's surrounded by paving blocks and the roots have started to push them up. It's grown quite fast and although I like the look of it I think it might be too large considering its position and surroundings. If I don't take it down I'll get the pavers around it removed.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: IMG_5725.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 275| |Filename: IMG_5726.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 276| |Filename: IMG_5727.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 277| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
DaveJ86

On 6/14/2015 3:50 PM, DaveJ86 wrote:

I don't know what it is and without good closeups of leaves, stems, and bark I wouldn't hazard a guess. Given its location and size though I'd certainly get rid of it and do a general cleanup of the area. Actually, I'm surprised that the neighbours haven't been complaining to the local council given the nearness of the fence and the apparent overhang into their rear garden.
I would definitely get rid of it due to its location, a shame, but really you cannot compromise the build of your home for a tree, it is already showing signs of doing damage
'Classic Ironworks | Design and Build' (http://www.classicironworks.co.uk /)
Angela Dean

On 15/06/2015 5:50 AM, DaveJ86 wrote:

It is a willow, specifically a "Tortured Willow" aka Salix Matsudana.

You could cut that tree back to its ankles and do that every year for decades and it'll resprout and give you an attractive bush. You could cut it back to your shoulder height and the same resprouting would happen but it'd look less attractive IMO (think pollarded Plane trees and how tortured those poor things look). Personally, I'd go for the cut back to the ankles each year.

replying to DaveJ86 , Sid in Sacramento wrote:

Take a branch down to your local plant nursery to identify it and find out the growing specifics, and the type of soil amendments to help it stay healthy. I would remove the pavers, and use a border of plastic edging, with plastic spikes, on the inside, with screws, to keep it in a circular shape, then place red wood chips on the inside to keep weeds from growing around the tree