Transplanting Tree Peony?

When I moved into my house 3 years ago, I found what I believe is a tree peony way in the back of the yard. Everything had been neglected for so long, and this was no exception.

1st year it was a stick with a few leaves, about 2 or 3 feet tall. Last year the top died, and it started growing from the bottom. This year, it is like a new plant, bigger and leafier than ever. But it is in deep, dry shade, and I have no hope that it will ever bloom or amount to anything where it is....

I've heard they are very difficult to transplant. Anyone have any experience with this? I have a nice sunny spot in the front yard where I'm sure it would be happier, but I hate to kill it in the process. I'd rather leave it where it is than kill it.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Reply to
cewolf

Hi: I purchased a tree peony last year and put it in the wrong spot. This year I gently dug it out replanted in a sunny spot and it did well. I was informed to put a whole mashed banana in the hole and mix it up as peonys like potassium. Something worked as it has produced many leaves this year and I am hoping for a blossom next. Good luck.

Reply to
RosietheRiviter

I've moved several with no real hoo-rahs. Waited till the plant was dormant in the fall, then did my "dig a huge hole, then dig up the plant, then move it" routine. Watered thoroughly and gave it some fertilizer next spring, and water in the summer drought. Took 2-3 years to start blooming again, but they all did.

Some reading material:

good attention to the new planting site... these are very long-lived plants, and you might as well not plant them where they'll be shaded again in a few years.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Thank you both! I think I will give it a try in September.

Knowing the history of the house, I suspect this plant has been where it is for at least 25 years, and was completely neglected for half of that...I'll put it in a nice spot where it will get water and sun.

Thanks again! Carol

Reply to
cewolf

tree peonies can survive and flower with quite a bit less sun than herbaceous peonies. I have one in what I would call 1/4 daylight (probably less than 2 hours of direct sun a day) and it has flowered beautifully with a dozen or more enormous white and red flowers for 4 years. The site below advises "gentle sunlight" - an area that will receive semi-shade in the afternoon so that the flowers won't shrivel prematurely in the hot afternoon sun. Don't be in a hurry to put it in your sunniest garden spot. It probably won't flower in deep shade, but maybe you can leave it where it is if you open up a window of sunlight on it by cutting out a branch from an overhanging tree or something. However, if it is in a location where there is too much competition from tree roots nearby, it probably won't thrive and will have to be moved.

Reply to
presley