Transplanting raspberries

My SIL has a large 20x40 garden with nothing but raspberries. She wants to give them to anyone who is interested, as long as they dig them up. What is a good time of year to transplant them? I live in the Northeast, where we had a not-so-mild winter last year.
I also am in the NE and experienced that winter. I had significant losses to my raspberries (not all weather related). I plan on doing some transplanting when they are dormant, probably late fall. They are pretty tough so I do not expect a lot of problems. Now I did it - they will all die no doubt.
John
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:18:41 GMT, Beth Pierce