Transplanting Peonies?

I have a friend of a friend who doensn't want his peonies anymore and is offering them free for the digging. Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall that they don't handle transplanting well. Whats the odds on survival if I dig them up and replant them? I'm in zone 7, central Virginia and I have Davidson clay soil (rich in nutrients, red, acidic).
Peg
Hey Peg,
We've moved our peonies several times with no bad results. Let me know if you need help and we'll come over and give you a hand. <g>
Callen
Peggy Elliott wrote:

Is it better to transplant them in the spring or fall, or does it matter?
-kim
Peggy Elliott wrote:

Peg,
I have transplanted several peonies that my neighbors have given me and they have all done fine. It is best to wait until fall to transplant them but if you can't wait be sure that they are watered well throughout the rest of the summer. Be sure that you don't plant them too deep when you move them to your yard.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850