Transplanting Climbing Rose

Good evening to all,

Can someone here tell me when is the best time of year to transplant a climbing rose bush, I'm not sure how old it is. I live in the Florida panhandle it that helps.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mayday

Reply to
FLDIXIEREBEL

In the southern parts of the U.S. I would say best time is after the plant loses it's foliage. Sometime in December or January. The plant needs at least 3 months to re-establish a root system. Roses are horrible root plants. You will have better luck if you fully prepare a hole now, make the appropriate amendments to the soil by using a lot of compost. After this heat wave we've been having in the southwest-southeast, you can move it. Unfortunately, you will have to prune it, so waiting till the brink if you can is best. I transplanted an antique climber last March and it didn't recover until July. It sparsely flowered. If I would have moved it in Jan. it would have recovered before the sun blaze.

Reply to
animaux

Very early spring. Roses have a deep tap root.

Reply to
Phisherman

Since you might not get winter chill that makes the rose go dormant, do it when you would normally do your winter pruning. As part of your pruning, you should remove all folliage from the remaining canes. (See my .)

When you prepare the new planting hole, add a generous amount of bone meal or superphosphate but no other nutrients. Do not feed for the first year. You want the roots to redevelope without forcing top growth. Top growth that is initially vigorous can too easily exceed the capacity of injured roots to supply with water and nutrients.

You add phosphorus at planting time because that primary nutrient does not leach through the soil like other nutrients. If phosphorus is not already in the root zone, it will never get there. Bone meal is generally better because it is less likely to burn injured roots than superphosphate.

Reply to
David Ross

Fall is the best time to transplant in the panhandle of FL. The soil temps are still warm and the sun's intensity is at it's best for new plantings. Fall gives the climber optimal chance to establish itself loooong before the brutal heat and humidity hit. I'm in Tallahassee and we usually go from winter to summer without that nice spring transition.

Kimmie Tallahassee Fl Zone 8

Reply to
KIMMIEnFLORIDA