Transplant shock? Help for a rookie

Hello, People of Green Thumbs. Greetings to you from the land of I-Kill-Every-Plant.

I bought an African Violet in a self-watering pot, but after potting it, decided to add some perlite based on what I'd read regarding the lightness of the soil. And then I noticed I hadn't set it low enough for an African violet, so I had to repot it AGAIN. I know, dumb.

So it's basically been potted three times in the last couple of days. The poor thing's flowers are wilting a bit (leaves look OK) and I'm worried it's transplant shock. I read about bagging it in a clear, transparent bag and leaving it be for a few days for humidity's help in allowing the plant to recover. Around here, all bags you can get seem to be opaque.

So, I put it inside a clear vinyl case (I believe the case originally enclosed a bedroom sheet set, surely you know the kind I mean?) which is large enough for the plant, but not overly large. It's still in the sun in the south window, although the sunlight is usually diffuse due to our trees out back. Also, I live in Oregon, and our summer for some reason hasn't really gotten going yet.

Is this the prescribed method of treating transplant shock? I'd be surely glad for any help you folks could give me. I am terrible with plants, but REALLY want this one to pull through.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
erin.betters

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Hello, People of Green Thumbs. Greetings to yo

from the land of I-Kill-Every-Plant.

I bought an African Violet in a self-watering pot, but after potting it, decided to add some perlite based on what I'd read regarding the lightness of the soil. And then I noticed I hadn't set it low enough for an African violet, so I had to repot it AGAIN. I know, dumb.

So it's basically been potted three times in the last couple of days. The poor thing's flowers are wilting a bit (leaves look OK) and I'm worried it's transplant shock. I read about bagging it in a clear, transparent bag and leaving it be for a few days for humidity's hel in allowing the plant to recover. Around here, all bags you can get seem to be opaque.

So, I put it inside a clear vinyl case (I believe the case originally enclosed a bedroom sheet set, surely you know the kind I mean?) which is large enough for the plant, but not overly large. It's still in the sun in the south window, although the sunlight is usually diffuse due to our trees out back. Also, I live in Oregon, and our summer for some reason hasn't really gotten going yet.

Is this the prescribed method of treating transplant shock? I'd be surely glad for any help you folks could give me. I am terrible with plants, but REALLY want this one to pull through.

Thanks in advance!

hi erin i think that u are doing the right thing introducing moisture to the to help reduce the amt of shock to the violet. here are a few links that might help u some. good luck with your plan :). cyaaaa, sockiescat.

sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat