transplant pawpaw

Is it possible to move a two foot high pawpaw? I know they have long taprooots. When and how could such a move be done?

Alan

Reply to
nobody

Hi Alan,

Moving a paw paw that mature is generally not advisable, and you may lose it. Certainly retaining as much of the deep tap root as possible will help. Also, move some of the original soil with the tree, as there are some beneificial organisms in there to help the paw paw at it's new location. I would think late fall, or sometime when the tree has gone mostly dormant would be the best time to move it.

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

Now is not a good time to transplant. Wait until very early spring. The bigger the ball the better.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

There are container grown pawpaws which are that big (or bigger), so I'm not sure it is hopeless.

I don't really know. Different pawpaw growers seem to have different opinions about how best to sell them (with the container-grown and the "dig it up to move" being the two schools). My own approach was to buy the smallest size our vendor was selling, on the theory that a large one wouldn't do as well as with non-taprooted trees. (One vendor of the non-container school is at

and he says he ships in April, in West Virginia).

Our pawpaws seem to be doing OK for the first year. But they haven't put on much growth yet. About the size of our green pepper and hot pepper plants (in fact, this year the peppers are planted in the same bed as the pawpaws. The peppers will go somewhere else in the future. The pawpaws ain't moving).

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

Reply to
dr-solo