Transplant now?

I am wondering whether I dare do some transplanting now, or should I wait until autumn? I live in the California Central Valley. The high temperatures are in the mid-90s now, with cool nights. If I am careful and leave good, compact soil around the roots, would I be safe in transplanting some perenials now? If so, should I cut them back substantially before digging them up?
Harlan
HH wrote:

Harlan I am also in the Central Valley (Northern) It would be better to wait if possible, but sometimes things must be moved now. I've moved daylilies, and a rose recently.
Water the plant in the morning. Dig the new planting hole before the move, and fill it with water. I dig the plant in the early evening, so that it will have all night in the cool air to adjust. Yes, get as large a root ball as you can. Get the plant into the new location quickly. Fill in with soil, firm down and water well Cover the root area with a mulch. Have something ready to provide shade during the day. (large piece of cardboard supported at an angle for example) Remember the sun moves, so check to be sure the shade is still over the plant. I cut back some, but try to leave the more substantial stems. You can always cut back more if needed. Sometimes a plant will wilt during the heat, due to the loss of roots. If the soil is still moist, do not add more water. The plant will likely revive in the cool of the evening, and more water will just promote root rot.
If you have several of one species of plant, I would do one plant and see how it does before digging them all. You can also temporarily put the plants in pots in a shady spot until cooler days. Good luck Emilie
Thanks so much for those excellent suggestions.
Harlan