training vines on a tree

Happy Monday everyone!

I am looking for advice on training basic Clematis Paniculata to grow on an oak tree. This may be a silly question--but do I allow the vine to grow straight up, or encourage the vine to wrap around the tree? So far I have tied twine around the tree trunk to hold the vine in place, yet the vine does not seem to want to cling to the tree trunk.

Thanks! Heidi

7b
Reply to
Heidi Stump