Training Hyanith Bean vines

I'm having a problem with my Hyanthis Bean vines in that they don't seem to know or want to climb a trellis. Does anyone grow these and if so how do you get them up the trellis? Last year I grew one vine and had to baby it up the trellis. Since I got a lot of seeds from last year's vine I have a big clump of them and more growing this year. Is there any way to get these plants to climb on their own?

Reply to
Mark Anderson

How tall are the vines now? Maybe use some twine or bamboo stakes to get it started? I wish I could be of more help as I may be in the same boat as you are. I am trying them for the first time this year. Mine are about 6" tall

Reply to
Elaine

Mine are about the same height and they have a very nice trellis right there for them to climb on with the verticals being 3/4" x 3/4" painted wood. I grew one plant last year and had to baby it to climb a trellis post that was 2" x 2". At the end of the year I got a lot of seeds. This year I built an entire new trellis system and planted a patch of these and I think every single seed germinated into a plant. This trellis system is 15' high which will make it difficult to baby if I have to manually wrap the stupid vines around the verticals. I thought they would fare better with thinner verticals but I'm already having problems with them at another trellis. They just want to travel along the ground and choke other plants.

This is a very nice vine when it blooms but I can't understand why they can't climb like morning glories or moon flower vines.

That's an interesting idea thought. I'll try using twine and see if that helps get them going.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Reply to
Elaine