Training Hyanith Bean vines

I'm having a problem with my Hyanthis Bean vines in that they don't seem to know or want to climb a trellis. Does anyone grow these and if so how do you get them up the trellis? Last year I grew one vine and had to baby it up the trellis. Since I got a lot of seeds from last year's vine I have a big clump of them and more growing this year. Is there any way to get these plants to climb on their own?
How tall are the vines now? Maybe use some twine or bamboo stakes to get it started? I wish I could be of more help as I may be in the same boat as you are. I am trying them for the first time this year. Mine are about 6" tall 4-6 leaves now. I used a couple of the bamboo stakes in a criss-cross pattern. If anyone out there can give more advice I may need it too. Elaine

In article elaine snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

Mine are about the same height and they have a very nice trellis right there for them to climb on with the verticals being 3/4" x 3/4" painted wood. I grew one plant last year and had to baby it to climb a trellis post that was 2" x 2". At the end of the year I got a lot of seeds. This year I built an entire new trellis system and planted a patch of these and I think every single seed germinated into a plant. This trellis system is 15' high which will make it difficult to baby if I have to manually wrap the stupid vines around the verticals. I thought they would fare better with thinner verticals but I'm already having problems with them at another trellis. They just want to travel along the ground and choke other plants.
This is a very nice vine when it blooms but I can't understand why they can't climb like morning glories or moon flower vines.
That's an interesting idea thought. I'll try using twine and see if that helps get them going.
Hello Mark, The trellis I built is the green plastic lattice kind with 10' 4x4's (due to the slope of the garden). So they will have to reach up about a foot and a half to even grab hold to it. I am hoping the bamboo stakes will be enough. If not I will go with the twine too and some nails maybe. I also planted a couple of seeds at the mailbox which have sprouted but not as tall as the others. I plan on using nails or screws and loop the twine around them. Not as good soil there. Hope they make it. I gave about half of the seeds to my daughter to get her started. Hopefully between both of us we will get enough for next year. I bought mine on ebay from a very nice lady in N.C. for something like $2.50 for 25 seeds. I feel like I got a bargain. Good luck with your! Elaine
says...