Topsy Turvy planters

I am new here. I see a few familiar monikers. I was given of the Topsy Turvy planters recently. I did some research and people have had some bad luck with these. I live in SoCal and I am not sure what growing region that is. I think I will grow tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. What has been people's experience with these?

Also, I am thinking I will install some drippers. People say that these things have to be watered daily. I am pretty bad about remembering to water plants. So drippers may work. I would just hook them up to my spigot and then run the tubing along my fascia boards into the planters. Would this work? How many drops per minute should I aim for. I figure it should use less water than pouring water into the planters every day.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

You can easily set it up if you have the emmiters to drip into the bags, but the most important part is that all sections of the bag needs to be moist. If the dripline only drips on one side, the other side will be dry. That will force the roots to fight in the bag for moisture and nutrients.

I mean, it can't get any easier. I think I am going to do my tomatoes in my own home made version of these bags. Then I'll have more control with suckers, etc. We also have a lot of slugs and snails here and that would be virtually eliminated. I would still have the tobacco horn worm, but I love the moths they make so I like my nightshades to have lots of foliage.

Just make it your business to water and fertilize them regularly and the rewards of home grown tomatoes will prevail.

Reply to
Jangchub

OK, I kind of thought the drippers would not be ideal which is why I asked. I have a big container of Miracle Grow and a 2 gallon watering can. I'll just have to discipline myself to water them frequently. It sure is worth it if I get a nice big harvest. I can make it easier by hanging the planters at a nice shoulder height. What can I say, I am kind of lazy about these things. Ask any plant I killed.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook