Top cut on dogwood.

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:44:48 -0500, FACE

Fat chance!
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/quickref/trees/flowering_dogwood.html
does not answer your specific questions, but sounds athoritative enough to be worth following up with e-mail or phone call. I'm sorry you have to prune your tree. Some rather unpleasant neighbors sheared my large old dogwood straight up and down along the property line some years ago, and it recovered over time with no noticable insect or disease damage. The cuts were not sealed with anything. This was/is in SE Virginia, where there are dogwoods all over the place. Good luck.
rec.gardens wrote:

This is a tree for gawd's sake. Some react as if i was about to practice vivisection on a small child. (Dear "some", I promise to shoot it with a 30-30 if I hear it crying softly during the night.)

An interesting and informative article.

Thanks for the Good Luck wish.
FACE
FACE wrote:

Tar and commercial pruning paints containing tar should never be used. They cause die-back.
I find that white glue (Emler's, Will-Hold, etc) is an excellent seal for pruning cuts. The cuts seem to heal more quickly if sealed, especially heading cuts.
When I prune my peach, I reseal old cuts where the wood has dried and cracked, to keep water out of the cracks. This prevents rot.
When I prune my roses, any heading cut on a twig thicker than a soda straw is sealed. Otherwise, stem borers (solitary wasps making nests) will enter the cut and drill down 2-3 inches, weakening the branch.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
rec.gardens wrote:

Thank you David, the straight up open grain is my concern here. I am still leaning towards the bluntish angle cut for quick water runoff in a trade-off of an increased the wound area.
FACE
Thanks John, I will check out those resources you list to see if i can find a little guidance. I am thinking of waiting until the full onset (December?) of winter before i make the head cut.
FACE
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:24:34 -0500, "John A. Keslick, Jr."