too many apples?

OK, I've done the pruning ( last winter) fungus spray, and pesticide spray and watered well now I think my tree has too many apples. Literally! I mean there are apples everywhere! What do I need to do to help the tree with this load? I have heard of people making braces from 2X4s and propping up limbs.

Ron in West Central Wisconsin

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Ron H

Steve

One apple for 25 leaves, so thin until you get that ratio. The leftover apples should be reasonably well distributed around the tree.

Reply to
simy1

Hi Ron,

First of all, you don't mention anything about thinning the apples. If they are growing in clusters, you should reduce them down to the largest and cleanest of the group. Also, along any branch there should not be more than one apple every five or six inches (this number can vary with the variety). I have used wooden boards with padding to support both apples and stone fruits. Thinning as described, should reduce the requirement for lots of supports. Thinning will give you fewer fruits, but larger in size and probably more flavorable, since the tree is not distributing its energy over too many fruits. Leaving a tree overbear can also lead to bienniel production of fruit.

Sherw> OK, I've done the pruning ( last winter) fungus spray, and pesticide spray

Reply to
sherwindu

Thin the apples. Spread your hand out as wide as you can, thumb to pinky. Pick every apple between your thumb and pinky. That's the width you want between baby apples.

My Master Gardener trainer has a PhD in Pomology (fruit trees). That's what he taught us to do.

Sometimes, even after you thin like crazy, you'll *still* have a big fruit load on a branch. *Then* you can prop branches up with poles or 2x4's.

Jan in Alaska growing apples, cherries & pears in Zone 3 59N, 151W

Reply to
Jan Flora