tomatoes splitting

We have some lovely grape and pear tomatoes on our deck that seemed perfect until tonight I went out to pick them and they all have splits on them. Did I leave them on the vine too long? Any other culture advice?
Thanks Erin

Too much water over a short period of time may lead to splitting-not hanging on the vine al;though those that are there when the event occurs will be affected.
Steve & Erin wrote:

Erin,
I grow both the grape and pear tomatoes and have noticed quite a bit of splitting (and cracks) this summer. Around here the weather has been very "uneven" (hot, then extremely rainy for a few days, then hot again). That is what usually causes the splitting problems. You can pick them early but I think the flavor is better if you leave them on the vine until they are ripe enough to eat (especially with the red and yellow pear tomatoes).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
Hi Erin! I believe the weather can play a big factor in the splitting, if you have had too much rain. Also if you over water them, this too, can result with them splitting. What i do now is i pick them just before they ripen, but newspaper into a cupboard or dresser drawer, and i leave them a couple of days, closed, still checking on them. They do ripen, and the flavour stays in! Hope this helps??? Good-luck!!!!
Peppergirl.
Please feel free to check my website out. Click on below.
http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com /

perfect
Did
Tie the plants with woman's hosiery. It will not break the vines.

perfect
Did