Tomatoes not ripening

All my tomato plants look strong and healthy. All have lots of green tomatoes that are getting bigger and bigger. They don't seem to be ripening. Could it be the cool weather we are having here in Ohio?
Marilyn
Allview wrote:

This is always the toughest season of the year: waiting for the tomatoes to ripen. They will do so on their own time. If the weather isn't cooperating, what can you do about it anyway?
wait wait wait wait.......
On toast spread some mayonaise and then set the mayo side down on some crumbled blue cheese. What sticks to the mayo stays in the sandwich, add a layer of basil leaves and a layer of tomato slices, salt to taste and enjoy.
Allview wrote:

Marilyn,
It depends on a lot of things, the weather being one of them. Do you know what variety that are? The "early" tomatoes (early girl) and the "cherry" types have been doing fine for me while some of the others have not started to produce yet.
I always grow a lot of different varieties (this year I have about 18, many of them the smaller "salad" varieties) so that I have tomatoes from the first week in July to frost.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

I didn't plant any Early Girl. Mostly Delicious and some beefsteak types.
Next time read the package. Typically, the large fruited "beef steak" types are slow to ripen.
Think about it. Wouldn't you expect the larger fruited types to take longer to get that size?
If you want tomatoes fast, next time get the smaller fruited types or quick ripening types.
Do your homework next time. Get a book on tomatoes.

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Cereoid,
Why are you nasty to people? People come here for help and you give them lip. It's not so much what you say, it is the way you say it.
Try being nicer to "newbies". It will make for a much better newsgroup.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
I second it. If you have some disease and are dying, I am sorry for you, but that is still no excuse for taking it out on us by acting like an ass in front of all the good people who come to this newsgroup for help. It is really too bad, sometimes you can really come up with some worthwhile information.
Dwayne

Dwayne wrote:

I would agree that it was not stated very nicely, but it was worthwhile information.
Yes, people do take good advice best when it's sugar-coated, and spoon-feed. Most people will take it pretty well when it's stated without any emotion. But that doesn't mean that just because it's stated in an insulting way that it's not worthwhile.
The advice was good. The way it was presented wasn't the best -- but then again, the fact that as of this writing there have been three follow-ups to the message means that the message won't be lost in the shuffle. Now do we want to talk about the content of the message (which I think was good), or the format (which really isn't on-topic here)?
The message was:

types
quick
Makes sense to me, even if it wasn't sugar-coated.
--
Warren H.

==========
Maybe you are reading your own emotions into the reply, Billy Bob?
Do you have a problem with people getting directly to the point?
Do you need to see the replies embellished with pointless "flowery" verbiage?

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Cereoid,
There is no need to be so nasty to me too. I was just pointing out that some people see your replies as being on the "curt" side. Take the advice or leave it. Life is too short to treat people badly.
--
Bill R.

Remove No-Junk-Mail- in e-mail address to reply by e-mail
Quid pro quo!
Quid pro quo!
Maybe I should change my name to "Curt" then?
You shouldn't be so obsessed what other people think because most of them don't care at all!!!

We have been getting ripe cherry tomatoes and maybe a half dozen riped BetterBoy so far this year. A couple tomatoes have rotted due to unusual rain. I have three green tomatoes that have fallen off the vine but they are on an east windowsill to ripen. Wow! The flavor is intense. Some folks like fried green tomatoes but personally don't care for it. I'm now in E TN but grew up in Ohio where the tomatoes have the ideal climate and the best. On 01 Aug 2003 01:39:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comgarden (NAearthMOM) wrote: