Tomato sprout question

I am trying to sprout some Brandywine and Rutgers for the fall 2006 season. They both wilted and died last week in the heat (103) even though they were well watered in good potting soil and moved to shade in the middle of the day. Do I need to bring these inside until it cools off outside? My fall garden experience is limited to transplants from the local hardware store.

Reply to
Mike

My guess: the plants were kept too wet; hence, the wilting. Potting soil is mostly peat, which can easily become waterlogged.

Or perhaps, they were too young to survive the extreme temps. Might be better to keep your seedlings in dappled shade all day until they/re better established.

Rutgers are ~80 day to maturity. Not much time left in the season, given the length-of-day will begin to shorten quickly come mid-August. Still time to sow a fall crop if you go with a variety that/ll pick in ~60 days.

Reply to
TQ

I might be able to still get them in (Novemeber first frost) but I was planning on using the ones I planted 3 weeks ago. They (Brandywine and Rutgers seeds) made their first true leaves and then wilted and died. Both were in potting soil and watered like I have in the past. If you miss one watering at 100+, they die immediately. So I was quite disappointed when they died after I had been so diligent to keep an eye on them. I am just wondering if it is possible for them to grow at all in these kind of temps.

Good potting soil. Lightly fertilized with diluted Scotts.

I have had many fall gardens but the selection has been narrowed to what is available as transplants.

Mike

TQ wrote:

Reply to
Mike