Tomato seeds

This was my week to start my tomatoes, indoors.
One variety I started was brandywine, which I'm pretty certain is not a hybrid. Since the packet contained very few seeds, I started thinking that perhaps I could harvest some seeds this year, and save money and have more plants next year. I know tomato seeds seem to pass through the digestive tract and survive, but I'd rather find a more pleasant way to get the seeds.
So what are the steps to harvest tomato seeds, assuming I'm willing to sacrifice one or two of these fruits.

Simply scoop some seeds from the tomatoes before eating them.

i run mine through my tortoises... they enjoy a treat of tomato gel & i get prefertilized seeds (actually i pick the sprouted seedings out of the soil in the tortoise pens. no need to handle the droppings). otherwise, yes, fermentation of the gel helps, but it's not necessary. i've just dried seeds & grown them the next year. lee

Brandywine is a heritage type.
My local tomato guru uses the following method. When selecting blooms for propation, put a gauze bag over top of the flowers so they do not cross pollinate with other varieties. They can be pollinated by lightly shaking the flower. When the tomato is ripe (post-gauze bag), squeeze the seeds out into a bowl, add some water and allow the bowl to sit in a warm place so fermentation occurs. When a skin has developed over the top of the seeds, remove it and you will be able to drain the seeds out on a coffee filter, where they should sit until dry and you can bag them. Note, tomato seeds can remain viable for 10 years if stored properly in cool, dark conditions.
Personally I prefer buying my tomato seeds. Dora
All I do is take a good one by eye and more important taste. Squeeze some seeds on to a paper towel and and let them air dry. Later on clean them up a little, label and store. The do is becoming did as my sun light is not great at my house. I gardened over my dad's next door for over 50 years . But things change.
Bill whose sunlight is increasing sadly due to some Oak rust disease.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

Whereas for me the nights are too cool for tomatoes to do well unless they are in a warm spot! However I have been told the night time coolness helps the sugars to develop. Dora
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The "trick" to growing tomatoes in "hostile" conditions (too hot or too cool) is to pick the right varieties for *your* area. Contact your counties' extension agent (or whatever the position is called in your area) and ask what grows well in your area. You may not be able to grow exactly what you want but there are so many varieties of tomatoes that you will likely find many that you will enjoy.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

I grow are from Siberia, and I have one I think is a hybrid called Sub Arctic. They are very fast maturing. Dora
In article
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Johnny's selected seeds is located in Maine USA.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

I'm finding second and third generations of saved seeds haved localized or sumpthin' and often do better than previous generations.
Charlie
On Apr 5, 5:06pm, Charlie wrote:

I've heard this elsewhere in reference to the Siberian strains. Dora

though. Dora