Tomato Problems

My maters were doing fine, even though we've in almost drought conditions right now in Texas...but now they're getting close to ripening, and something is happening to some of them. I think they are Beefsteak variety (I forgot exactly what I planted, but they look like a mutant, LOL! ), and several days before they were the perfect ripeness, they turned real squishy and pulpy like they are rotting from the inside. Any idea what the problem could be? If I pick them when there is a little green left and they are still hard, will they ripen in a sunny window?

Thanks! If you need to see a picture of the variety, just drop me an e-mail and I'll send a pic.

Angie in the Boonies of East Texas...where it's HOT!!!

Reply to
junkyardcat

Cooking them on the vine might be one reason? Might even be a super idea. BetsyB

Reply to
BetsyB

I had a variety of jalapeno pepper last yet that literally rotted green on the plant. They would liquify from the inside out. There would be no lesions of notice, but when I grabbed them or shook the plant the skin would break and the insides would drop out like mush. It was bizarre. I had to pick them fast, as soon as they were green. Your post reminded me of that problem. Absolutely none of them ripened to red without rotting by the time any yellow or orange appeared.

That said turning red and ripening are slightly different processes. Tomatoes produced for market are subjected to the chemical which makes them turn red, but doesn't necessarily ripen the flavor. After all, once picked they don't benefit from the plants biology drawing water and nutrients from the soil. apples or bananas(can't rememeber which) emit the gas and if put with green tomatoes will help turn them red.

When I had a lot of green tomatoes at the end of the season I tossed them in a brown paper bag and closed it. That gave me decent results. SOme still rotted without turning. Sitting them on a windowsill didn't do well for me--at least with the ones I tried.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

pan fry till brown and they are wonderful. Not often enuf to mess up your arteries.

BetsyB

Reply to
BetsyB

In my defense I had pounds of them ... but I did consider trying to make them myself