tomato plant never did produce

The huge plant never did produce any tomatoes. I did cut it back some, as someone said to stress it. But still nothing. Lots of flowers but not one tomato... Plants in the back have produced many though. More than I-- or the squirrel-- can eat. Was a good year. Have had a second crop and maybe a third depending on when frost comes.

Something weird. I have mushrooms in my front yard. Three big ones. Abou t 6-8". Usually, this time of year the yard has brown spots from all the h eat and lack of rain, but this year lots of rain. Not even the hostas turn ed brown this year and they always have in mid to late summer. Sometimes, there are mushrooms in spring but I've never seen ones so large as this. A nd it is September!

Reply to
Gus Overton

i'm glad you had a good year. :)

yeah, it's been a fairly steady rain year for a change. usually the month of August is when the grasses in most lawns that are not irrigated will go dormant for a while. not this year. for us it has meant no need to irrigate any of the gardens for most of the summer and only watering transplants when needed.

we've been having more fungi on the beans and peas. the peas normally die back in mid-summer, not this year, they were eaten by the groundhogs and didn't do much until they recovered but the frequent rains and fairly cool temperatures have kept them alive. i was thinking i would have to remove the soup peas with the fungi that was attacking them last week, but we've had some dry and sunny days and i left them alone. will check them tomorrow to see what to pick (and the rest of the beans). rains forecast again for Wednesday... getting everything off the plants as soon as it is fairly finished is the way i try to keep ahead of both rot and animal raids.

songbird

Reply to
songbird