Tomato plant is too tall

I grow my tomato plants in pots, on the deck. The deer have a nasty habit of eating if I grow them in the ground.

One of my plants is reaching 7' tall, it is the grape variety. I don't have cages or anything around them, just 6' stakes. They are in 15 gallon pots.

Can I just prune the top, so it doesn't grow any taller? I don't want to kill the plant, just wondering if this will end the growth for the height.

Thank you.

Reply to
Jerry W.

I have same problem. My wife had an empty flower pot on patio beneath deck and I put an extra tomato seedling in it. Deer have pruned top of this one without ill effect to rest of plant ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

Yes, you can prune it and it will cause it to grow suckers lower on the plant that will eventually have blooms and then tomatoes.

The type of plant you have is indeterminate (they grow and grow and grow). What you really want to grow in pots is determine plants. They only grow to a determined height (height depends on the variety). There are many grape or small red tomatoes that are determinate but, more than likely, you will have to grow them from seeds since most places that sell tomato plants don't carry them.

Reply to
Bill R

I would put some kind of cage around the plant for support. I cured my deer issue many years ago by using a solar-powered electrical fence. Pruning the plant will encourage it to bush out, not sure what that will do to the yield.

Reply to
Phisherman

Use less nitrogen next time. You can prune the plant a bit but if it is late in the season and if you have an indeterminate variety of tomato, you may not get a good yield.

Farmer John

Reply to
fudge

Reply to