Tomato path what depht?

Hi, How much depth would be enought to plant a tomato? Is 8" good enough? Tks S.

Reply to
sand and sun

The good old rule of thumb when transplanting a tomato is to plant it such that the soil is up to the lower leaves. In fact, I often strip off the lowest two leaves and plant such that soil is up to the next set of leaves. Reason is that the plant will develop roots along the now buried stem, making for a sturdier and more robust plant.

Reply to
Lawrence Akutagawa

============ In cooler climates you can plant using the trench method. IE - dig a small trench, lay the plant sideways and cover up to to seed leaves, or remove some of the lower leaves and increase the trench size. The reason for the trench method is to develop a better root system since the plant is closer to the (warmer) surface. I've tried it both ways(Zone 5b), no noticible difference in tomato production.

Reply to
ozzy.kopec